Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer Can Chicken Carving

Beer Can Chicken Carving

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 12:25 pm
Fired rare
rare

:shock: When making Beer Can Chicken everything went great, Skin that was crackly and crispy good. When I went to Carve the Chicken the juices were flying and putting the chicken on the cutting board got the skin all soggy. How should I carve that bad boy? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Post Thu May 27, 2004 12:31 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you use a Chick-Can or similar chicken sitter you can just leave it on the holder and carve away.

I also have a Spanek verticle roaster that i have transfered the BCC to for carving.

Slice off the wings, then the legs at the body then slice the breast meat like a gyro.[/code]
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:48 pm
Big D well done
well done

let the chicken sit on the can a few mins while grease, juices, etc. run off the bird (keep it on a plate)... then lift the chicken from the can and move it to a cutting board. I find it important to remove the bird from the can then move it to a cuttign board because some of the beer tends to spill a littleand gets all over the cutting board.You may even want to sit the chicken on another can (one that hasnt been heated by the BBQ because it will scold you) and carve the chicken in a vertical position (if you dont have one of the aforementioned holders). As lieing the chicken on the board - particuarly if you do it immediatly after removing from the grill and not letting it stand in a vertical position for a few mins - will generally cause a pool of juices and the chicken soaking in the juices will cause the skin toget soogy.

another option I sometimes employee is to remove the skin almost immediatly following grilling and placing on a seperate place then carve the chickens as many of my guests perfer not to have skin on the bird due to the fat contenet and then I feed the bare skin to some of the less imagine concious people in the crowd.

I just wish I could get KFC skin without the chicken. mmmmmmm

Post Sun May 30, 2004 5:46 pm
BBQnMama medium-well
medium-well

I've always followed Big Ds second suggestion - remove the crispy skin and then carve.

I cook my beer can chicken in a disposable pan (not sure if that's standard or not) so all of the juices are saved. As I carve the bird I let the meat soak it up in the pan then serve it along with the crispy skin for folks who enjoy that kinda thing.

making me hungry thinking about it!

Post Mon May 31, 2004 8:49 am

I just did four at a time this weekend. It was a big hit. To carve, I picked the birds off the grill with tongs and had my brother pull the cans out with a towel. I then laid the birds down on a cookie sheet and used a good set of scissors(chefs) to cut off the wings and legs. Then I used a sharp knife to carve what breast meat I could. After that the moist bird begins to fall apart so I used the tongs to pull the rest of the meat off. I ended up with a platter filled with a pile of legs, wings , breast meat, and the "pulled off" meat. The chicken was out of this world! I olive oiled the out side and rubbed it in a modifided basic meat rub(kind of KS rib rub/basic meat rub combo) let it sit overnight. I then put them on the grill with hickory chips. I used a bbq mop to mop on bbq sauce every half hour. The grill was running about 250 for about 2hours (slow roasting) Big hit. Pete.
63' "original"
73' 149 hydro

Post Mon May 31, 2004 3:03 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

pete,
birds sound great.
quick question though. Whats with the signature?
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Mon May 31, 2004 7:07 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

This is how I carve a beer can chicken. I use kitchen sheers and a serrated knife to go through the joints. If the chicken is cooked well, it will separate easily to its primary pieces.

Post Mon May 31, 2004 7:36 pm

Smokey

Those are old cub cadet garden tractors
63' "original"
73' 149 hydro

Post Mon May 31, 2004 9:39 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

BBQnMama, greetings and welcome to the board!

Fired, I also cut my BCC's with a pair of poultry shears. Though I've not been concerned with crispy skin. We usually feed the skin to our German Shepard. He hasn't complained so far. :lol:

Return to General Discussion