Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Question about Rubs

Question about Rubs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 29, 2006 1:36 pm

First time poster here. Tons of info that is very helpful.

We purchased a rub that I really like. However, it has too much kick for my better half. Is there a way to tone it down a bit? Would adding brown sugar help or just don't put as much rub on it? Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Chief

Post Mon May 29, 2006 3:27 pm
FedoraDave medium-well
medium-well

Brown sugar might help, but keep in mind that it'll caramelize after a while; not too long a while, if you're cooking over direct heat. So if your wife doesn't like what my sister fondly calls "crunchy burnt bits" on her meat, she's not going to like the brown sugar.

Maybe use less rub, or prepare separate portions (I do this for my kid, since my wife and I like spices, but he doesn't).

Or (and this is the suggestion I'd run with, myself :) ) create your own rubs, to please both of you. That's where all the fun is anyway!
There is NO SUCH THING as "pork tartare!"

Post Mon May 29, 2006 5:19 pm
aditas medium
medium

I'm in the same predicament. I practically have to use very little of the rub for her to like it. If I use extra sugar she would just tell me it's too sweet.
I pick option two and if you really like it I would just use the rub to season my portion of the meat.
Weber Genesis Silver B
ECB
CG w/SFB
Uniflame electric

Post Mon May 29, 2006 5:24 pm

LOL... that might be what I end up doing also. I added brown sugar and will have the verdict about 6:00 PM tonight as the ribs are in the smoker. We will see and thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.
Chief

Post Mon May 29, 2006 5:52 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the board, AsstChief7!
I look forward to hearing how those ribs turn out!

Post Mon May 29, 2006 6:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board AsstChief7! :D

I'd also suggest using less rub. Once it's too hot for the taste buds it takes quite a few other ingredients to "cut" the heat. A little brown sugar may help a little but a lot of brown sugar (which is most likely what it'll take) will throw off the balance of the rub.

Hope the ribs turn out good. :D

Post Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 pm

I thought the ribs turned out GREAT !!! Still too much heat for the better half. I guess it will be HIS and HER racks from here on.... LOL

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments.
Chief

Post Tue May 30, 2006 12:56 am
jminion medium
medium

Sweet glaze will help offset some of the heat.
Jim
Weber Rancher
WSMs
Primos
Klose mobil
Ole Hickory EL-ED

Return to General Discussion