Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion need smoker help

need smoker help

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 9:01 pm
ricko raw
raw

Want to buy a smoker, need info on wood or electric, whats best, any one cooked on a backwoods smoker, is heat hard to regulate, thanks for help, ricko

Post Wed May 26, 2004 9:31 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is an old post (from New Smoker thread) that may help you make a decision:
1-Get a smoker that maintains a low and steady temperature. This is very important for any beginner. If you can’t maintain the proper temp, and you have to constantly mess with the smoker, then you will get frustrated and give up on the whole idea.
2-Remember that smoky flavor comes from the seasoned wood not from the heat source. So no matter what type you get (charcoal, gas or electric), as long as you use wood for smoking, you’ll end up with good results.
3-Start small (don’t invest so much in the beginning), experiment and learn, then upgrade.
4-I started with an electric vertical water smoker. This smoker keeps the temp (most of the time) constant and the water keeps the food moist. Until you learn the art of mopping, this is a good option. Of course, gas smokers do the same thing, but electric is cheaper and more convenient.
5-Charcoal is great and gives food a unique flavor, but maintaining the temp in these smokers takes a lot of practice. And remember as long as you use wood, you will get the flavor.
6-Upgrade once you’ve discovered the world of smoked food and mastered all the techniques. Most of the pros use horizontal wood or charcoal smokers. These smokers run from $100 to $1000’s.
7-One final advice, do the research, buy a book that would help learn and experiment.
I hope these hints will help you make a decision.
Good luck.

Post Wed May 26, 2004 9:38 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

This is the one I have; it's made by Meco:

Post Wed May 26, 2004 9:41 pm
ricko raw
raw

Thanks Bcue, looking forward to getting started once I decide on smoker. Tried once on a cheap smoker but had hard time keeping heat right, thought electric might be easier. I have looked at cookshack, can you suggest any others wood or electric. Thanks ricko

Post Thu May 27, 2004 11:45 am
BigDaddy medium
medium

Ricko,

I have this electric Brinkman…

It is super easy to use. I just always feel like I’m not really evolved with the cooking process, because you just plug it in, add some soaked chucks and wait. So I recently decided to purchase the Char-Griller Horizontal Smoker and Gill (see the “Torn between two Grills” tread), picking it up today…yeah. I’m hopping Char-Griller will help me work on some of my grilling and smoking skills. I do know a few of the board members here, love the Weber Bullets…

Good luck on your choice.

JC

Post Sun May 30, 2004 10:06 am
2beast medium-well
medium-well

ricko..............
I too once had a cheap smoker. Although good smoked food was possible, it was always difficult.
I now own a small cookshack electric. This is a great smoker and very easy to get great results. Cookshack also has a great board that is loaded with information and support.

Good luck in your quest!

Return to General Discussion