Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grand Scale goes PreHistoric

Grand Scale goes PreHistoric

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 6:31 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yours truely add a char-griller super pro with side box to his collection. Yes Grand Scale has charcoal now! I've been thinking about taking the leap and between using it this weekend at the chili cookoff and BBcueZ's pictures of a grill full of chickens and my wife (bless her, she's a great woman) green lighting it sealed the deal. I have a new toy, I put it together last night and will be firing her up this evening to "burn out the gook". And yes I bought two chimney starters, a cover, a bag of hardwood lump and two bags of wood to go with it!
Now don't think I'm giving up mt "D"....NEVER.
And I'm still a gassman at heart, but there's room for a god's grill in my yard and I just so happend to have an itch that needed scratching and a space to fill and a wife that is very understanding of a junkies habits.

Post Wed May 26, 2004 7:11 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Stop it with the excuses and go get yourself a copy of How to Build Fires for Dummies and cook somethin for that great wife of yours you knob turner. :lol:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm looking at a Weber Q for light tailgating duty. :)

Post Wed May 26, 2004 10:36 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I'm right there with you Grand Scale, I fired up the Santa Fe this morning, first time in about a year. Gas is just so easy and fast. I've got a 7.5 lb pork butt smokin and a slab of ribs. The Santa Fe has settled down to about 225 and we'll see about 5 this afternoon. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to find a good brisket to throw on there. Folks up here in Virginia look at ya kinda strange when you start asking about brisket. I haven't had a good piece of brisket since I moved up here 4 years ago. I guess I'll just have to talk my Lady in to moving down to the real world of Barbeque. Except where I'm from they usually just put Bar-B-Q on the sign. Geez I miss TEXAS.

Get the "Q" Airfoils, you'll love it!
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Wed May 26, 2004 11:28 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

CONGRATS on your new toy Grand Scale,

That's great! I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. Seem's that pic Z posted of his Char-Griller / smoker with the chicken's on it got us all fired up ( punn intended ) .

I know you'll keep us updated on how thing's are going with it. Glad to hear you won't be giving up the " D " also. Between those 2 rig's, the possibilities for item's to turn out might be limitless :lol: . Nothing but best wishes for ya! YB2

DarkrubitJ,

In regard's to Brisket's, I was at the Norfolk costco a while back and asked the person at the meat dept. if I could get a untrimmed brisket out of the back, before they were trimmed and placed in the display case, she said I could, but of course they were out at the time. I was told they get deliveries a few day's a week ( can't recall now which day's) but that's when you need to catch them. Don't know if one in your area will do the same, but it might be worth a try. Good luck YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Wed May 26, 2004 2:07 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

DarkRubiTJ wrote:
Get the "Q" Airfoils, you'll love it!

Im sure I would in terms of light tailgating duty and its effective grill area and the little cargo room it requires. However, I think my urge to build an automated aeroponic herb garden next to my grill area is stronger but that will have to wait until after I am through constructing my new grill area in the back yard. Then I'll get serious about PVC, water pumps and misters :D I'm even thinking I can eventually con the better half into a small greenhouse for peppers and squash and cukes and stuff.

Post Wed May 26, 2004 7:40 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you throw some orchids into the mix along with some other flowery types (Don't forget year round fresh herbs!!!) she might even insist on a larger one AND help construct it .
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed May 26, 2004 8:19 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Way to go Grand. Pretty soon you will only be using that Summit on week nights. Enjoy!!

Post Fri May 28, 2004 1:05 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I'm proud of ya Grand Scale. I'll have to toast a dram to you and your new grill.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:23 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Grand,
Any news on the new grill?
Have you seasoned it yet?
Are you planning on using it this weekend? Do tell.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:56 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've told the wife that I need to swing by Lowes and check out this offset. With so much buzz on the board about it, I need to educate myself.

G.S. congrats on the new BBQ'n machine! See if she'll get you a digital camera for Father's Day (even if you may not be a dad yet). :wink:

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:47 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Are you kidding I had that sucker seasoned by Friday night! I put a whole bag a charcoal through it half a bottle of oil and plenty of wood. She was ready to go for the Chili cookoff. See "Shameless Plug Thread" for more on that. But that was the only time I used her. I had big plans for Monday but when it rained I ended up using my D instead. But have no fear I will be getting my money's worth out of that rig. It is great.

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:52 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I went by Lowes last evening on the way home from work to see the wonderful Char-Griller Super Pro that everyone has been so excited about...and they didn't have any. There were no smokers on display at all. Gas grills everywhere and even a few charcoal models (seems like fewer each year), but the Char-Griller was nowhere to be found. Needless to say, I was very disappointed :? . I'll keep an eye out for it elsewhere.

Return to General Discussion