Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ Tongs - what to get?

BBQ Tongs - what to get?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 25, 2004 6:01 pm
henrikk raw
raw

Mundane question.... I am of need for some BBQ tongs for my new Weber gas grill. What do people recommend? I found the "OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Stainless-Steel Locking Tongs" and they seem like good candidates, but I wanted to ask here first.

- Henrik

Post Tue May 25, 2004 6:05 pm
MrEd rare
rare

I did some looking around the internet for the best tongs and most reviews I read said the OXO were the best. So I bought a pair of the 12 inch and loved them so much I went back and got a pair of 16 inch.

One thing to note. Make sure the locking mechanism is metal. My 12 inch was plastic and broke the first time they were dropped. I made sure my 16 inchers had a stainless still mechanism.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 6:35 pm

If you contact OXO, they'll give you a replacement, no questions asked.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 7:32 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

henrikk welcome to the board!

And greeting to MrEd as well!

It's always good to see new friends joining in. :D

Post Tue May 25, 2004 8:19 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Been awhile since I've seen one of these threads. I have some Oxo stuff in my kitchen but am replacing them with utensils whose handles arent so thick. A few of those tools starts to eat ups room quick and im always looking for more room these days. Anyway, I saw these and they looked nice, tempting even, especially the stainless mechanism ones that were metnioned but I have a set of 16" Williams Sonoma and I love them, especially the 3 position locking tongs. :D The turner is just as high quality..and the fork...what fork?

Post Tue May 25, 2004 8:31 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Airfoils wrote:
and the fork...what fork?

:lol: I agree , what good is the fork? To let all the nice juices out? I tend to recieve a lot of BBQ utensil sets as gifts and I have a pile of giant forks now taking up space.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Tue May 25, 2004 8:48 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've yet to find anything to improve on the HD version of Polarware

www.polarware.com.

Enter tongs in the search window.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue May 25, 2004 9:09 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

This is the only thing I use BBQ fork for:

I dip the onion in oil and use it to lubricate the grill grates. This not only lubricates the grates, but it also seasons them and gives the meat a subtle onion flavor. It beats the paper towel. For best flavor, wait until the grates are nice and hot before you do this.

Post Wed May 26, 2004 8:38 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Z, I used your tip for oiling the grate with an onion instead of a paper towel this weekend while grilling so K-bobs. That works so much better than paper towels. The onion transports more oil to the grate instead of soaking it up like the paper towel does. And the aroma is wonderful, I called the wife outside just to take a whiff. :D Thanks again!

Post Wed May 26, 2004 9:51 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Look at the tong and spatula set designed for the Weber "Q" . Looks like it's made out of 3/32 stainless very stout and works great. I love mine. I think I'm gonna take a Dremel tool to the front edge and thin it up a bit, then it'll be just about perfect.

I use a brush made from "Tampico" fibers, to oil the grates and it's pretty much fire proof. I picked it up at a local supermarket, but I've also seen them at Wally World for a couple of bucks.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Wed May 26, 2004 12:16 pm
MrEd rare
rare

Thanks for the tip about calling OXO. I called about my broken tong's and a new pair are on the way free of charge.

Post Wed May 26, 2004 12:54 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I have the BBQ tongs from The Pampered Chef. They are similar to a scalloped design on the end. They get a pretty good bite on the food, but the do not lock.
I like them though.

RichD

Post Wed May 26, 2004 2:03 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

Let's hear some more good ideas about what to do with that stack of BBQ forks we all have piling up--you all are creative, the onion/oil idea is a great start.

I expect one of you to post a picture of BBQ Fork art shortly . . .

Info

Post Wed May 26, 2004 2:13 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

How about this:

Post Wed May 26, 2004 2:57 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Lst time I asked someone what to do with the fork they told me where to stick it. :shock:

And no, I don't have any pictures.

Next

Return to General Discussion