Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Best book for gas grilling?

Best book for gas grilling?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 3:38 am
bcarl raw
raw

Hi all

I'm new to the board and would like to know what everyone thinks is the best book for grilling on a gas BBQ.

I have looked at possibly BBQ USA 425 Fiery recipes and also Weber's Big Book of Grilling.

I just bought a new gas BBQ ( Fiesta Steakhouse signature series) after using a Hibatchi for a few years and would like to move up from the world of just hamburgers all the time :)

I did my first Steak today and can't wait to get back at it!

Thanks in advance for your advice
No I do not always cook it to death!

Post Mon May 24, 2004 7:33 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Any cookbook worth its salt should be easily enough to interpret from gas to charcoal or vice versa. Just use a little thought to make the jump between the two. Heat is heat no matter where it comes from. No flavor of the other hand is a different subject, and that boils down to Ford vs. Chevy for most Q'ers.

THE BEST BOOK FOR ANY BEGINER IS STEVE'S "HOW TO GRILL".
PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.

Buy that first.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Stick around the board, you'll learn tons here too.
Enjoy the insanity.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:01 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

bcarl, welcome to the discussion board. You'll find a lot of useful information to help your transition from Hibatchi to full size grill. I'll second Grand Scale's motion to buy the book "How to Grill". I have Steven's five books on grilling and I use HTG the most. The photos and step-by-step instructions will have you cooking like a pro! :D

Good luck.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 1:02 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Just another vote for "How to Grill" - this is an excellent book and I use it everytime I want to try something new. It is great that it shows pictures of each step which is great for Newbies!

Post Tue May 25, 2004 3:38 pm
Big D well done
well done

Webber's book is great and there are a lot of good cookbooks out there but How To Grill (see the store section of this website) is by far the best cookbook for someone in your situation, just starting to grill.

The book shows you how to setup a grill for various grilling techniques (even with a gas grill it is important to understand how to use it) and it has many delicios traditional receipes bit the greatest part is it has many out-of-the-box receipies like beer can chicken, bbq cabbage, bbq creme brulee, etc. that will make you guest say WOOW when they see it and again when they taste it.

It is easy to follow and has many pictures to illustrate.. a must have

Post Wed May 26, 2004 2:18 am
bcarl raw
raw

Well I bought the book and I have to say at first glance it is by far the best book available at the book store. Not a bad price either at $29.95 Canadian or about next to nothing $US.

I'm looking forwards to trying out some Shish Kebab variations.

Thanks for your help
No I do not always cook it to death!

Post Wed May 26, 2004 8:15 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Big D wrote:
Webber's book is great

Yes I would concur with the Big Book of Grilling but Art of the Grill isnt as good IMHO. Big Book is a great compliment to HTG but as was said, HTG is the WTG!

Post Wed May 26, 2004 10:15 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I love "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" for me it's the book that really made my concoctions jump up and talk to ya. Steve lays down a good base for trying new things and experimenting. The homemade Lemon-Pepper is great, and the Herbes de Provence receipe is much better than anything I've ever bought. In my family at Christmas time our gifts are usually of a cooking nature, and my brother always sends spices from Penseys, this year I'm going to knock his socks off with things that are coming out of my kitchen.

Although it's sacraledge another book that's turning into a go-to book is Paul Kirks " Championship Barbeque". His combinations of flavors are right on, and his receipes are usually quite simple.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Return to General Discussion