Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Maiden Beer Can Chicken & BBQ Cabbage is in the grill...

Maiden Beer Can Chicken & BBQ Cabbage is in the grill...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Put it on about 4:45, kind of a last minute thing. Didn't have any can's (only bottles) of beer so I used Dr pepper. I'm trying Steven's Memphis rub out also. I'll let y'all know how it comes out! The wind is swirling right now and we're getting a bit of smoke in the house, smell's like a real BBQ Joint :lol: GOTTA LOVE IT!!! YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Mon May 24, 2004 6:05 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Don't forget to take pictures!! :D

Post Mon May 24, 2004 8:23 pm

ALL I can say is, WOW, for the beer can chicken, it was delicious. Got a little dark in some area's (had the temp spike to 400 deg. for 20 mim. or so), but I put a foil tent on and it was just fine without any burnt or bitter taste, the Mrs. was ooing & aawing about it as well.

I guess the Cabbage came out as it's supposed to, but it is not one of my personal favorite way's to fix cabbage, but it was good to try just the same, and you can't beat the presentation qualities of either dish.

i've learned a couple of thing's during the cook:

1.) Try switching to chunk's for smoking & soak longer than 1 hr.. Tonight I used 2 cup's of hickory chip's soaked for 1.5 hrs., turned smoker burner on high til I saw smoke, then cut it down to low as recommended... 30 min. later no more wood or smoke. That lil' burner will flat eat up some chip's. Wasn't able to impart much of a smoke flavor during this cook.

2.) Keep playing with my new toy, the temp control doesn't appear to be difficult but a bit different than what I've been used to cooking on.

Oh yeah, I hit her w / the Goo Gone and washed it down with soapy water afterwards and it got rid of most all the smoke stain's on the exterior of the hood. I think my next Item to try is going to be the Jamacian Jerk pork shoulder... mmmm!

Sorry Bob I didn't get a pic., I don't have a digital camera, or scanner. I was meaning to take a regular pic though but don't know what happend, The only flash I saw was nakid chicken bones flashing out of my mouth :oops: . YB2

Post Mon May 24, 2004 8:28 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Sorry, didn't log in before posting above. YB2

Post Tue May 25, 2004 8:52 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB2 congrats on fixin’ that great meal. I too found the cabbage good, but still like it best fried.

Were you able to figure out what caused the temp to climb? Was it just a matter of getting used to the helm? Sounds like you handled it well.

If you like spicy foods, you'll love the jerk pork. The first time I made it we didn't have the exact shoulder cut that the recipe called for, which concerned me at first for authenticity's sake. Then I read in the book where it was traditionally made from the whole hog, problem solved. We also couldn’t find Scotch Bonnet peppers at our local grocers (checked six different food chains). I used a Boston butt and Habaneros instead. Being concerned about using some of the hottest peppers in the world, I used only six instead of the twelve called for (I think it said 6 to 12). Absolutely wonderful! You must try it. The second time we made jerk pork I divided it in half. I grilled half and smoked the other half. When you grill it most of the jerk seasoning sticks to the grill, burns off and the meat is still flavored from marinating. But when you smoke it, boy howdy, the entire jerk seasoning sticks to the meat! We had to scrape some off to eat it. I like spicy foods but after the third slice I had enough and started scraping too! :shock:

Post Tue May 25, 2004 11:41 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Thank's for the complimet Bob,

The temp spike was indeed caused due to operator error, the few previous meal's I done on the new grill have all been done using direct grilling. I thought I had the temp stable and came in for a cold drink and took a break from the heat for a while, and it had spiked during that time. The helm has a whole lot more gadget's to fiddle with than my old grill. But hey, getting used to a new toy is half the fun, right :lol:

I had the same first impression as you, regarding the heat index of the jerk pork, when I read the recipe. My initial thought was to scale back the peppers to 6, or maybe even 4.

I enjoy spicy food's but if I have to call 911 after eating something, it just take's the enjoyment out of the meal for me. I may be mistaken, but I believe Scotch Bonnet and Habenero pepper's may be one in the same. I'm not very familiar with habanero's, but Scotch Bonnet's have the shape of a tiny bell pepper, as opposed to the slender finger like shape of many other type's of hot pepper's.

Also, thank's for the tip on the jerk sticking to the grill, I guess with all those spices on the meat it would be hard for it not to. All the best! YB2

Post Tue May 25, 2004 2:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Your correct in saying that Scotch Bonnet and Habenero peppers are one in the same, in that a Scotch Bonnet is a variety of the Habenero family.

And new toys are always the best. :D

Return to General Discussion