Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wifey is letting me buy THE grill, BUT....

Wifey is letting me buy THE grill, BUT....

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Bklyn BBQ raw
raw

I just don't know which one to get. I've read some of the other threads on who's cooking with what, but I'm still at a loss. Also, all of the brands that are made by one company for 2-3 different stores under different brands makes this as confusing as buying a mattress.

I want to cook often, so I'm looking for a gas grill. I would like a grill that cooks well. I want a grill with storage space underneath and a side burner? I'd like stainless steel, but it's not a deal breaker. The budget goes up to around $600, but I'm trying to sell her on the benefits of the many delayed payment programs (no interest, no payments 'til 2005) which could get me in the $750-800 range,

BBQ Heads...I need your help....really badly. I know Weber is one of the best for cooking and parts availability, but it doesn't have enclosed underneath storage unless you get the Summit. Is underneath storage really that big of a deal. My old grill was charcoal and it didn't have any underneath storage, so I'm not sure if it's really that big of an advantage. It also doesn't have the infrared butner.

I do have 2 other questions:

Question 1: Can you properly rotissiere a chicken on a gas grill w/o the infrared burner?

Question 2: Are there grills that can be converted from propane to natural gas and vice versa? I've been seeing grills that only do one and when I was in Sears looking at their Kenmores the salesman said their grills only did one or the other.
I Grill therefore I am.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 7:54 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Although I own a Sears Kenmore Elite, I would not suggest buying one. Cooks OK but parts access REALLY stinks.

I would buy the largest Weber WITH or WITHOUT a side burner that I could afford.

Here's the link.

A side burner can be accomplished in many ways. I have a good one but often make use of Coleman 2 and 3 burner pump up style camp stoves. (More heat and YOU decide where if lives.) I also have and use several butane "buffet burners" that also move to where you want them.

Underneath storage is OK but for the diff. in price you can buy a small Rubbermaid storage unit that is truly watertight. My Kenmore has a completely enclosed storage area and unless you are able to keep the grill absolutely dry it leaks. Say, when you are cooking and it starts to rain. I don't like to cover a wet grill. It traps all that moisture.

Rotisserie? I don't use one. Beer Can Birds don't need one. Smoked birds don't need one.
Indirect grill roasted birds don't need one.

Nat. of propane? Don't know if they can be converted easily back and forth. Are you moving soon?

The cost differential based on longevity and parts availability will eat up ANY savings on the front end.

I keep coming across old Genny's @ yard sales for next to nothing 'cause someone bought Viking or other LUXE grill and the parts are always available for the Weber. Just cant convince the BOSS to let me snatch 'em up and redo them.

I mistake, don't you.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon May 24, 2004 8:23 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

My Charbroil has a rotisserie burner, but I’ve only used 2-3 times in the past 2 years. As YB stated, don’t let the lack of rotis. burner stop you. If you see a model you like and it also does not have a side burner, try this portable indoor/outdoor burner; it costs $30 at Target and it uses a small fuel canister that hides inside of it.
Good Luck.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:59 pm
Bklyn BBQ raw
raw

Yard Bird & BBQZ,

THANK YOU so much for your advice. I've been going back and forth on this for a while and you've definitely given me some practical solutions to what seemed to be difficult problem. Well, actually they're not that difficult at all.

Outside the box thinking. Thanks.

8)
I Grill therefore I am.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 8:46 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Oh, so now I'm a bird, am I?

That's the exact butane stove I'm talking about. We have 3 of them and use 'em all over the place. Take 2 with us to the beach. I take e to pot lucks at church. Great for power outages, tailgating, etc.

I mentioned a while back, if you have an Asian market nearby you can pick one up for $20. But for the extra bucks the Target one comes with a case.

Still I but the fuel at the ethnic market Target' want 4 bucks a can while the market is FOUR cans for $7.40.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue May 25, 2004 8:52 am
Bklyn BBQ raw
raw

YardBurner,

My apologies. Whenever I see your post my mind reverts to a combination of the jazz legend Charlie "Bird" Parker and those delicious "Yard Birds" that my grandmother had running around in her yard. Trust me, it's the highest of compliments.
I Grill therefore I am.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 9:56 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Bklyn BBQ Welcome to the bulletin board. The guys have given you some solid advice so I'll just drop in and say Howdy!

Invest in something that will last.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 11:28 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I sell grills day in and day out and the go-to grill for me is a Weber. You can get a Genisis Gold C with the side burner for $600. Webers have quailty of construction that few of the others makers even dream about. No other grill maker, in Webers price range, uses a fully welded frame. They have the best usable warranty around, and the 24/7 800 number is the best service I've ever experienced. Their coatings are rock hard, next time you look at a porclean Weber, take a car key and try to scratch the coating. You'll see what I mean. When I sell a Weber I know it's not going to come back and bite me in six months or a year. I've got 3 Charbroils and 2 Fiestas that customers used once or twice and returned for Webers after seeing them in use at a friends or relatives house. Every owner has told me that they should have bought the Weber right off the bat. Storage underneath is not that big a deal for me, they end up being a catch all for the stuff that you don't want or use that much, buy a deck box and store stuff in that. I store charcol, chimney, hickory chunks, utensils, covers (when not in use). It's neater, waterproof, and can be used as an extra work surface when needed. You can order a Weber either NG or LP, and they can be converted at a later date. Having never used a rotisserie burner I don't know much about them, but word on the street says that they just help with browning.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Tue May 25, 2004 2:39 pm
Bklyn BBQ raw
raw

Thanks DarkRubiTJ!!!

I LOVE this place. Well, Weber it is with a storage/deck bin.

8) :D :)
I Grill therefore I am.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 4:48 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Since you've already made up your mind, and in an excellent fashion I might add, I'm going to make this brief. Webers are great, you've made the right choice. Enclosed storage under your grill is overrated, I have the Summitt D and don't use the space, its closed in, yes but not airtight so it still get critters in it. And as far as keeping rubbermade in there, it gets too hot and melts, so you're making the right choice here to.
Now as for the rotis. they are nice, and you can always add them aftermarket. They are great, but they do the same as a beer can, and they are usually used indirect. So you don't need the rear burner, you'll be fine just going indirect or using a drip pan.
On the LP / NG issue. They can be converted, I've had it done. Just have a plumber of someone "in the know do" it, it has to do with changing the orafice.
Good luck and enjoy your new toy!

Return to General Discussion