Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Homemade Beef Jerky?

Homemade Beef Jerky?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 11:51 am
stripegrill medium
medium

Has anyone made their own beef jerky? How do you go about doing it? What cuts of meat did you use? I would like to stay with beef for now, but I am not opposed to venison.

Thanks,
Stripe

Post Mon May 24, 2004 12:25 pm
Loene rare
rare

I have made beef jerky before but never on a grill. I have what i believe they call a jerky shooter. It looks like a cauk gun but you put your meat into it and squeeze the trigger and depenting on what die you have in there, it comes out as jerky or meat sticks. I have just used ground beef along with the season/cure packs. After mixing it up with the meat, I shoot it out on a dehydrator. I leave it going pretty close to 24 hrs. I guess you can do the same on a grill, just must be much shorter time cause i know the dehydrator doesnt get anywhere close to 225 degress.
Thats just my 2 cents worth, dont worry about it, I have a big full jar of pennies

Post Mon May 24, 2004 1:04 pm
messickzr rare
rare

I have made several batches of venison jerky. I like to use a marinade consisting of seasoned salt, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, liquid smoke, soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce. I usually butcher my own deer and use a lot of the front quarters for jerky. I just cut 1/4" thick strips out of the roasts from the front shoulders and marinade for 24 hours. I hate to say it here, but since I don't have a smoker I use a food dehydrator for my jerky.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 1:18 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Both my boys have made beef jerky from hamburger using their "shooter" and drying it in a bullet smoker. Hamburger usually gets flavored with dry spices. When drying the jerky you must make sure that you temperature doesn't get any higher than 150*, 125* is better. You are not actually cooking the meat just drying it. You must cure the meat properly for at least 24 hours before drying it. It took 6-7 hours to dry in our smoker. We used six to eight charcoal briquettes at a time (depends on outside air temp, winter needs more) and a handful of soaked wood chips every hour. If the meat begins to sweat (oils from the fat) you need to dry it off with a paper towel as the fat may become rancid in storage (or so I’m told). The kids eat it in a day or two so it doesn’t around our house.

Bbut if you're slicing from a large cut of meat it's helpful to partially freeze the meat for about an hour or two to make it easier to slice into 1/4" strips. The meat is usually cured & seasoned in a wet marinade and then dried off before dehydrating. It usually takes a little longer than hamburger to dry.

Jerky can be done in and oven with the door slightly open, a dehydrator or a smoker. I suppose you could even do it in a grill without even firing it up. Just set the grill in the sun with the lid closed & vents full open and it will hot enough to dry the meat.

Hope this helps.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 3:22 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Hmmm...thanks for all of the input. I guess I will try it this weekend (what's better than Memorial Day...3 whole days of BBQ and grill). I will let you know how it comes out!

Post Mon May 24, 2004 6:35 pm
miltguy rare
rare

When I make jerky on the dehydrator I marinate the meat at least in a combination soy and/or terryaki sauce, hot sauce, salt, pepper and liquid smoke. I know liquid smoke is cheating but I don't have a smoker (yet) and you don't get smoke from an electric dehydrator (hopefully).

Post Mon May 24, 2004 11:35 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I've made quite a bit of jerky. I experimented with all kinds of marinades and dry rubs and cures. While I usually prefer making things like this from scratch, I could never find anything I liked as much as Hi Mtn Jerky original seasoning and cure (stay away from the flavored ones though). For about $7 you get enough to do 15 pounds of meat. In the Minneapolis area, it's available at Cub Foods stores. Online you can find it at http://www.himtnjerky.com/.

Something else that I use that comes in quite handy is a jerky board and knife. Basically, it's a wood board with a 1/4 inch lip on one side and 3/8 inch lip on the other. The knife is very sharp and very thin. You lay the meat in the board and run the knife along the top and gives you perfectly even cuts of meat. Works like a charm. You can find it at http://www.butcher-packer.com/pg_jerky_board.htm

I always use top round steak because it's very lean and not as expensive as other lean cuts. You want to avoid fatty meats for jerky so just keep that in mind with whatever you use. Trim it well before smoking it. Cure it, cut it to uniform strips, and throw it on the smoker. Many people like their jerky really tough and chewy. I prefer mine more tender so I always cut the strips across the grain of the meat.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Return to General Discussion