Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Stainless hood on Gold D turning color's already... HELP!!!

Stainless hood on Gold D turning color's already... HELP!!!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Yankee Bill medium
medium

I've heard some discoloration is to be expected with time, but I've only used my grill 4 times and it's already starting to discolor. In particular the left side of hood (closest to the smokebox ). The smoke really bellow's out top left, front corner when using smoke. Is this normal for the Gold D ?

The first time it happened I was able to clean most, but not all, of it off w / soap & water, but after I cooked this eve it came back worse, and didn't clean up as thoroughly. Is Goo Gone safe to use and effictive for cleaning smoke stain's on stainless ? YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Mon May 24, 2004 5:53 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Yes,
Go Gone is very safe and effective. When I clean the BBQ grates inside my stainless steel sink using Go Gone, the sink shines like it’s brand new. It’s also so easy to use you don’t have to scrub. Just spray it on and whip it off. And the smoke stains are gone. :)

Post Mon May 24, 2004 7:28 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

YB2-
Is your discoloration on the outside or on the inside. If its on the outside, I'd say check your fitting to make sure everything snug. On the inside...we some of that is just a way of life. Mine has reached the point where no ammount of solvent or scrubbing helps. So I don't bother anymore.
The way I look at it is the outside is for show, the inside is the moneymaker.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:39 am
Vinsect well done
well done

The inside is supposed to get "seasoned." This is normal and even desirable. The hood is a double wall construction which protects the outside from discoloring. That also gives you an insulating blanket of air too. :D
I've seen Steven Raichlen's Summit D and its black on the inside with well "seasoned" grates too.

Zep stainless steel cleaner is a marvelous polish for the outside stainless surfaces and powder finishes. Sometimes it helps to actually clean with glass cleaner and then polish with Zep Stainless Steel cleaner. Rub with the grain.
Use Goo-Gone for any thick stains on your porcelain coated paints.
For basic cleaning of the porcelain paints, use glass cleaner.
Finally, Armor-All the plastic surfaces and it will be better than showroom new.
You can get all of these products at Home Depot. The Goo-Gone may be in the paint dept with the other solvents. Armor-All isn't always with the other cleaning products but your HD should carry it.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 10:23 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Heve you ever noticed that Steve's grates are alomst always shinny silver. He must get new ones for each taping. Lucky dog. There is no other way they would always be that shinny.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 10:29 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Thank's for the tip's fella's,

The smoke stain's I'm referring to are on the outside of the hood, sorry, I meant to state that in my post. The smoke come's out of that top, front left corner of the hood at the exterior, and that's where I'm getting the staining. It appear's there might be a gap somewhere between the heat shield and the hood on the left side there, by the smokerbox. I'll try the Goo Gone and double check the heat shield fitting. YB2

Post Mon May 24, 2004 10:38 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If all else fails call Weber support. Their service is outstanding!! Worth every penny extra you pay for the Weber name.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 10:51 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Is there a Goo Gone product labeled for BBQ use?

My HD and Lowes had a degreaser but not a specific Goo Gone for BBQ.

The Stuff in the paint dept is for removing dripped and spattered paint insn't it?
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon May 24, 2004 12:38 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Hi YB,

Yes, Goo Gone brand has one called BBQ GRILL CLEANER, I found mine a couple of day's ago in the grill section at H.D.. It comes in a a black spray bottle. The nozzle, trigger & screw cap are orange in color. It wasn't clearly displayed, I had to hunt it out. YB2

Post Mon May 24, 2004 1:25 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We looked all over both HD and Lowes and only came up witha gel type degreaser.

Even asked and got nothing but blank looks.

Hey, Vinsect get us the SKU so we can go in and shake 'em up!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon May 24, 2004 1:34 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Here's what you're looking for: Image but I wasn't able to find it at HD Online. :(

A search found the product available for purchase online and a few product reviews: CLICK TO SEARCH.

HTH!

Post Mon May 24, 2004 2:25 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nope! Didn't see anything like that.

Bought the char-broil version and will see.

I have cleaners that work OK but I'm just trying to find something not as caustic.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon May 24, 2004 5:56 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

That’s the stuff Bob.
I use it all the time, and it works well. I usually buy it at Kroger or Home Depot (at the grill section) for $3.69/bottle. YB the Charbroil brand works just as well. I bought it at Lowe’s a couple of time, but it cost a dollar more than Goo Gone. I noticed the Charbroil brand is just a little stronger, but I don’t think it is worth the extra dollar.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 7:56 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hokay ,Thanx.

I'll let you know about the Gel stuff's performance.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon May 24, 2004 8:37 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Used the Goo Gone after I grilled this eve. It got rid of just about all the stain's on the hood exterior, probably would have gotten it all, but I only let it soak for a couple minutes.

Thank's again for the help! YB2

Next

Return to General Discussion