Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cajun Chuck Roast

Cajun Chuck Roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 1:17 pm
hotchef well done
well done

I have been dying to do something cajun style and so I figured the chuck roast I picked up a few days ago would be a great experiment. I am using the cajun rub from SR's sauces book. Now I need a mop that will go well with that flavor. Can anyone recommend one?

Also, this is a pretty small roast (2.75 pounds) and since I've never done one before, really no idea how long it needs to cook. I know to bring to about 195 degrees and put it in foil with some mop from another thread, but I was just wondering what kind of cooking time I am looking at. I am doing it in a vertical water smoker. Haven't had much luck with it so far (it's a Brinkman) but am going to give it a try again.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 6:56 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Hot chef,
This is the mop I use with Cajun flavors:
2-3 cups of chicken or beef broth (depending on what meat your cooking)
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of apple juice
1 bag of Old Bay-Shrimp&Crab boil seasoning
1 large onion-quartered
1 lemon cut in half
If you like spicy food, add some hot sauce or two red hot chilies cut in half length wise
1-2 tbs of the Cajun rub
Combine all ingredients and bring the liquid to boil, and then simmer for few minutes.
Use it to mop.
As far as timing, I would estimate 1 to 2 hours per pound at 225 degrees. Chuck meat tends to be tough; it requires long and slow cooking and a lot of moisture. As you mentioned, you will have to wrap it during the last stage of cooking. Also I would put it as close to the water pan as possible. Don’t get discouraged, but beef (especially chuck) is hard to smoke, and it takes a lot of experimenting to perfect it. But that’s how we all learn.
Keep on Grilling.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 7:33 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The mop seems about right but I would give about 45 min of smoke and then move to either a preheated cast iron Dutch oven or a double foil wrap adding approx. 1/4 cup of mop and half can of diluted beef broth or consume' and a bay leaf or two. (Boullion is not an option, TOO SALTY). Then seal or cover and continue cooking based on time. With the Dutch oven you can seal the lid and hold the steam by sealing the lid with foil either by just simply laying a sheet of foil on top of the pot and then covering with the lid or pull of enough foil to wrap around the pot where the two pieces join. Braising is the best choice for chuck and low and slow.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue May 25, 2004 6:57 pm
hotchef well done
well done

Update:

I did the chuck roast today and it turned out wonderfully. Had a 1/2 inch smoke room with a nice, mellow taste. Used the minion method for the first time and boy was I impressed. Consistent temp and no hassle. Had to pull it and put it in the oven for the last 2 hours or so (inside aluminum foil with some mop) because I think I used too little charcoal. Mopped with an original concoction of vinegar, butter, and cajun rub. The rub was a little too salty but other than that had a great flavor. Didn't quite get to the temp I wanted (wife was hungry) but was still great at 178 degrees.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 7:48 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've used the "Minion Method" a couple of times and it's not easy to judge how much fuel you'll need up front for a 8 hour burn (or longer). It takes some practice but it works great.

Your mop sounds good. Maybe this meal deserves a second try. :wink:

Return to General Discussion