Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber Grates

Weber Grates

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 23, 2004 10:55 am
Chicago SP rare
rare

Hello, grillers...

My "corn, potatoes and onions" Weber 26 3/4" is a real beauty, but the grates are getting a bit worn. I'm debating on whether to shell out the $50 for new ones from Weber (admittedly a bargain), or just keep the old ones.

Basically, my grates are still intact, but quite rusty. Think I'm good just oiling them up and keeping them clean...or is it important to get the new ones?

Thanks for your expertise!

Chicago SP

Post Sun May 23, 2004 1:48 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Chicago,

I just bought some new grates for my Weber and have decided that this needs to become a yearly affair, at least for the cooking grate. It was nice to have a nice really clean grate and light fish that didn't stick, with some grill marks to boot. I would invest in a new grate and keep it well oiled to avoid the rust.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:00 am
Chicago SP rare
rare

Sounds like sound advice, my friend. Think I'll order them today.

Many thanks,

sp

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:17 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've had my grill for about four years now and the grates are really showing it. One of the key spot welds at the hinge has broke loose and the grate is starting a good layer of rust this year. They make a heavier grate for the Patio Classic, than the stock one that it came with, which costs a few dollars more. I'll be replacing mine soon and will definately buy the heavy duty one.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:23 am
Vinsect well done
well done

As long as your ordering new ones anyway, may I sugest an experiment with your current ones?
If you have a self-cleaning oven, throw your grates and flavorizer bars in the oven and clean. This bakes off anything that doesn't belong. Brush off and reseason with shortening or oil.
As long as you haven't actually rusted through, this should preserve and somewhat restore your grates as much as can be done. It never hurts to have a spare set.

When your new grates arrive be sure to season well.

Keep 'em hot.
Keep 'em clean,
& keep 'em lubricated and they should last a long time.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:28 am
Chicago SP rare
rare

More good advice...I love this board!

Many thanks to all.

sp

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:40 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Your welcome Chicago SP. Welcome to the board and keep coming back.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion