Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Summit Gold D indirect grilling capacity question

Summit Gold D indirect grilling capacity question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Yankee Bill medium
medium

When indirect grilling on the gold D, the recommended method is to light the 2 outer burner's and place food over the unlit middle burner. If you wanted to do several item's at once using this method, that would, because of the area they cover, extend over the direct flame somewhat, could you use just use one outer burner for the heat source and place the food off to the side over the other 2, as you would do on a 2 burner grill?

I haven't played with the grill enough yet to see if 1 outer burner will maintain 350 deg., but If it does, I was thinking that maybe I could rotate the food 1/2 way thru the cooking time, i.e. place that that was furthest from the heat source closest to it.

Off hand, does anyone know if 2 beer can chickens & 2 bbq head's of cabbage will fit on the " D " simulatiniously, using the standard suggested burner setup for indirect grilling?

I'm having a few folk's over next weekend and am doing some rib's in the water smoker, and thought that I'd do some chicken's and cabbage on the grill together, as their cooking times seem approximate in Steven's book. Thank's YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Sat May 22, 2004 12:21 pm
Big D well done
well done

I actually did 2 beer can chickens and 2 cabbage on the D last weekend. since the D has burners (grouped in sets of two at front and back what I did was turn on the two outside burners + smoker burner and 1 of the chickens was a little bit over the front right burner so I turned that one down pretty low.... you can do it.... never doubt the D ;)

Post Sat May 22, 2004 10:53 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB2 I don't have a "D" :( wished I did. But I have no doubt it will do what you're asking. Why don't you put a $2 chicken in it and do a test run before your guests arrive :wink:

Post Sat May 22, 2004 11:54 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Thank's for the help guy's. I am planing on several test runs this week, but if someone knew for sure that I wouldn't be able to do these Item's together, then I was going to experiment w / some different menu item's. Not a whole lot of time to master this puppy between now and next weekend :lol: . YB2

Post Sun May 23, 2004 10:33 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

YB2- You'll be fine to do just about whatever you want to do.
The books say to use both outside burners. Thats because most grills need the exta oomph to get the heat up and stay indirect. Your D on the other hand has some serious BTU's You should only need 1 burner to hit 350. Also don't forget that you have that little smoker burner, it will put out more BTU's than you'd think. By itself I use it on low to hold about 250. Cranck it up and it will hold about 300 as well. So you could always use that guy as a kicker to boost your temp as well. Indirect is just creating an oven, burner location is up to you.
As for space...c'mon man, if you can't fit it there, you won't fit it. If you were talking about doing two 12 lb beercan turkeys and two Upstate NY cabbages (they look like bowling balls) then I would worry about capacity.
Like Big D says "Never Doubt the D"

Light'er up, and ler let'er rip!

Post Sun May 23, 2004 12:37 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Grand Scale,

Thank's for explaining that for me, that is exactly what I was unsure about. Look's like I can really load her up :lol: . I was confused (imagine that :lol: ), thinking that whatever was to be indirectly grilled, would all have to fit on the middle grate. You guy's are great, many thank's. YB2

Post Mon May 24, 2004 7:43 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

No YB2, indirect simply means that the fire is not directly under the food. Mainly to reduce flare-ups. Be that any combination of burners or any combination of food locations. You can even play around with using your rotis. burner in the back to boost heat as well. If you get that baby to flare-up you've got problems.

Last night I did 3 large london broils and about a dozen or so plum tomatos. The D can hold some serious food.

Glad to help.

Return to General Discussion