Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion wood chips

wood chips

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:13 pm

Is it possible to soak and store wood chips and chunks a head of time in a close container with water in it?

Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:41 am
Longmill

I wouldn't, if you're talking about long term storage. The chips will mildew and rot. Depending on the storage temperatures, mold and mildrew can happen rather quickly. May (?) be OK to soak overnight, but I wouldn't do it any longer than that.

Hope this helps.

Longmill

Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:53 pm
stl-rich rare
rare

Mildew on wood in water :?:

I doubt it.

My pal has had a bucket of wood chunks in water since the snow went away - no problemo :)

Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:44 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

If Norm Abrams can build with wood that has been sunk for 100 years I don't see why it wouldn't burn. Wouldn't do it without sealing it though.
Live Different

Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:19 am
Longmill

Interesting......

Sure, logs sunk in deep water last for years and years. Amazing how much wood remains from o-l-d shipwrecks. A few years ago, read about an ancient canoe that was dregged from a river bottom. It was in surprisingly good condition. The canoe had been protected by a layer of mud and silt.

That's quite a bit different from some chunks of wood floating in a water bucket. If the wood is exposed to air and water, it will rot. Especially hardwoods suitable for smoking. They don't contain the resins that resist decay. Ever pick up drift wood washed up from the depths of a lake? With the exception of a newly fallen log, would you smoke with it?

It' just my HO, but I wouldn't use wood, for cooking, that has been soaked with water for any material length of time. On the other hand, I'd love to have some spalded maple to go on the lathe.

Just my 2-cents, this a.m.

Longmill

Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:10 pm

Why would you want to store it in water anyway??

Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:41 pm
stl-rich rare
rare

So it is ready when you want it _ one less thing that you have to worry about

Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:59 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I understand the desire to have something prepared ahead of time - I usually place the wood chips or chunks into a water and beer solution the night before I plan on smoking which works great, however I did leave some in for about 2 days since I was unable to smoke the next day and they were very moldy and even though I am sure that they would smoke, I assure you that I would not want to eat anything with that flavor.

Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:28 pm
chagan well done
well done

I used to store them outside in a bucket full of water (no lid) until recently. When I went to retrieve some of my pre soaked chunks, I was greeted with an unpleasant aroma comming from the bucket. From then on I put the chunks in the bucket before I do my food prep, and start the charcoal in the chimney starter. Timing works out to about an hour.

Chris

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Return to General Discussion