Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion beer can chicken help !

beer can chicken help !

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 10:22 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Have you tried doing one with lump and just a little wood?

Chicken does not have a strong flavor on it'w own and can be overpowered by smoke.

If it tastes bitter you used too much smoke, or too strong a wood or not enough draft.

Smoke can get stale in the chamber, especially in an offset. If the smoke leaving the chimney looks thick or dark increase the airflow. You might also try biulding a smaller fire which will let you keep the heat down AND add more draft.

If it just looks burnt and tastes OK it might be the sugar. Try using raw, or turbinado sugar. Mexican cone (not cane) sugar also has a higher burning point.

As for the kiddies try just salt and pepper and oil on the outside and a mild paste type rub containig honey, a little butter, a little cinnamon and allspice placed under the skin. It won't burn there. Also try an underskin paste rub contaning fruit of some sort.

Grind up raisins, shallots, pecans or walnuts, s&p, thyme, and butter into a smooth paste and rub under the skin.

These are some of the things we've tried to make BCC more kid friendly.

With and offset you have enough room to do at least 4 at a time. Make a mess and play!

YB

Post Fri May 21, 2004 7:20 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great Ideas YB, I'm taking notes myself!

Post Fri May 21, 2004 9:21 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Solid advice YB!

We tried the Florida Jalapeno Pineapple chicken (“BBQ USA” Page 371) and it was great. Just omit the jalapeno from the adobo and it would be very kid friendly. Or you could brush the outside with a little EVOO to start then some sweet BBQ sauce an hour or so before it's done.

If you brine the chicken before you smoke it (they don't require brining), you can add a little extra brown sugar to the mixture and it sweetens the meat internally.

So many, many ways! Let us know how it goes.

Post Fri May 21, 2004 6:29 pm
Grillzilla rare
rare

Once my chicken starts to get black I make a tent of aluminum foil and that seems to work well.

I use a horizontal barrel type grill with fire on each side, lump charcoal and some oak wood.
"The more you learn to grill the less I have to cook" My Wife

Post Fri May 21, 2004 7:36 pm
Big D well done
well done

If its just black or burnt looking skin and tender on the outside its from the sugar as it burns quickly... I hate to enjoy this, as do many people, because its crisp and delicious and doesnt taste burnt. However many poeple don't, especially children as YB mentioned.

I would make an aluminum foil tent as mentioned, just like with a turkey, this will sheild the chicken and roast it.. remove about 20-25 mins before you suspect the chicken will be done and it will brown to a nice golden colour... another subsitute would be lemon butter and salt or the paste YB sugessted.

I will once again advocate my Maple Chicken as it is a uniquly Canadian receipe that I like to take credit for developing ;) I like to season the bird with salt, pepper and a bit of butter, make sure to work under the skin if you dont mind the extra hasstle.. another effective method which is time saving ankd a sure way to get very moist chicken (especialyl fi you dont like crisp skin) is to wrap the chicken in cheesecloth you have presoaked it butter.. remove cheesecloth for the last 45 mins and brush on mapleglaze every 10 -15 mins.. smoke using maplewood

For maple glaze I place about 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger in cheescloth and squeeze juice into saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 cup maplesyrup and boil till butter melts and begins to bubble

Post Fri May 21, 2004 9:16 pm
spfranz well done
well done

For a kid friendly chicken, try Steve's recipe for beer can chicken using lemonade instead of beer. The rub contains lemonade powder and it's excellant. It's from his Beer Can Chicken book.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri May 21, 2004 10:28 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For a lemonade powder without sugar . Buy Kool-ade (sp) unsweetend. Then add turbinado or brown sugar to taste.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Return to General Discussion