Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion beer-can chicken on an 18" Weber?

beer-can chicken on an 18" Weber?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 20, 2004 3:41 pm
olliejen raw
raw

is this possible? I really wanna try making it, but the grill seems too short to fit a chicken standing up in it.

any thoughts, experiences, feedback much appreciated!

--oliver.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 3:50 pm
sross rare
rare

Yes it is possible. I've cooked chickens on both an 18 and 22.5 kettles. With an 18, you need to drink a beer or soda first and crush the can to about half of it's normal size. Then just follow the same procedure but lean the top of the chicken on the "half can". The results will be the same and you'll love it.

Have fun,

Scott
3-2-1!

Post Thu May 20, 2004 3:51 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

olliejen welcome to the board.

I'm not sure what the grate to lid clearance is on the 18" Weber but you'll need about 9 inches for a smaller bird such as a fryer and at least 10 or 11 for a larger one like a roaster.

A few things you can do if room is tight:

Place a small sheet of foil under the lid if the bird touches it (to keep the chicken from getting dirty)

Raise the lid (this may require fabricating a ring similar to the rotisserie ring for the 22-1/2" kettle, needs to be a good fit)

Lowering the food grate (using a smaller grate purchased from the store and setting it on a few bricks or something to raise it off the coal grate)

Hope this helps.

Scott you typed your suggestion in faster than me. Sounds interesting...got any pictures?

Post Thu May 20, 2004 4:43 pm
sross rare
rare

After reading my reply, I think I made it confusing. I use two cans with my method - one inserted exactly the same as any other beer can chicken and another smashed down so that you can rest the top of the chicken on top of it. This allows the chicken to sit diagonally in the kettle and buys a little room for the top to fit without touching. Bob- I wish I knew how to post pictures but I don't.

Hope this helps!

Scott
3-2-1!

Post Thu May 20, 2004 6:12 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I used to have the same kind of grill, and this is the way I cooked tall things in it:
Remove the cooking grate, place 2 to 4 bricks on top of each other’s on the charcoal grate (based on the height of the food), and then place the beer can or any roasting rack on top of the bricks. You will not be using the cooking grate in this method. Place the coals around the bricks as flat as possible. This method will allow you to lower the food deeper into the grill, and thus given you more clearance.
Good luck.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 6:22 pm
olliejen raw
raw

thank you all for your replies. I think I will try to use a brick or two to prop up the chicken and indirect grill around the bricks. I have the coal separators, so the trick then is for me to find something that's lower than where the food grate normally sits (e.g. 2 bricks) and sit something on it that i can then rest the chicken & the can shoved up it's butt on...

thx all, i'll include pix if i can get it to work!
--oliver.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 6:32 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I forgot to mention, you could use two rows of bricks (side by side for better stability).
Let us know how it turned out.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 11:02 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Try using the coal grate from a 22" kettle sitting on bricks as your grate. This should add several inches of head (Beer Can Chix Gots No Heads!) room

No wobbles, no smashed anything, (except garlic in the can).

Just use a little less fuel due to the 18" smaller size. I used to use about 25% less than the Weber cookbooks info for the 22.5".

YB

Post Tue May 25, 2004 2:17 am
TerpDave rare
rare

With a small bird (3-5 pound range) it's no problem. Larger birds can be done by putting a smaller diamer grate in. By geometry, they'll find a place eventually to rest.
"Hmmmm this IS a tasty Burger"

Post Tue May 25, 2004 3:47 pm
olliejen raw
raw

Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice and help. I used the methods you guys helped me with and had some observations in the aftermath:

1. 2 bricks were too big for my 18"' grill, so i took one brick, broke it in half.
2. I used the next smallest grate I could find, the grate for a Smokey Joe grill
3. That set-up gave me about an extra 1" of clearance.
4. my 4.5 lb bird was still too big! at first, it touched the top of the grill. But, it seemed to shrink as grilling went on. If you have this set-up, you might try to use a smaller bird...
5. you really have to rub the chicken up good. I'm using Steve's "How to Grill" book, and it's great, but the amount of rub it suggests is quite conservative.
6. 1 hr 15 minutes seemed to work pretty good, and I threw in some extra coals on either side at the 30 minute mark.

Anyhow! here are some pictures, thank you again!! :)
http://home.comcast.net/~olliejen1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

Post Tue May 25, 2004 5:35 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Alright Oliver! Pictures!!!

That's a great looking bird. Now that you know you can do it on an 18" there'll be no stoppin' you. :D

Return to General Discussion