Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Tobacco Smoke

Tobacco Smoke

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 7:55 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ok all joking aside (smoking causes cancer...) has anyone ever heard of using tobacco to smoke/flavor meats?
I know it'll burn fast but so do herbs (I've used thyme sprigs with lamb and they've been awesome). So I'm wondering if this would work. Now I'm not talking about throwing a pack of Camels on the fire, I'm thinking cigar leaf, or maybe even cigars themselves if the leaf is not available. But as a cigar smoker often times the packaging withing a box is leaf tobacco.

I'm thinking it so crazy it just might work.

Any ideas?

Post Wed May 19, 2004 8:05 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I would guess that since the loose definition of an herb is the leaf or flower of a plant, (seeds, bark and nuts are spices). You could try it. Try a couple of boneless chix. breasts and see what happens.

I like to save up onion skins and trimmings, soak 'em up and toss onto the coals, It may not add that much flavor but it sure perks up the noses in the 'hood.

YB

Post Wed May 19, 2004 12:55 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

The only thing I would be concerned with is the amount of nicotine released when burning and how it will affect the food.
I would look into this a little more before giving it a go.

RichD

Post Wed May 19, 2004 1:15 pm
Rocket-Ron rare
rare

I'm sure that I have seen a recipe using tobaco tink it was a thai dish.
Got me thinking now will look further into this.
My cats breathe smells like cat-food

Post Wed May 19, 2004 4:46 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Grand,
If you go to any Middle Eastern store in your area, you’ll find dried whole tobacco leaves. They’re usually dried up on the green side, so they tend to be fresher. This kind of tobacco is very aromatic. Even though I don’t smoke, I like the smell of it. It’s usually used for the Turkish water pipe. I’ve never used it for cooking, but if I decide to try it, this kind will be my choice. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out. I think it’s a very good idea. Since most people are very sensitive to tobacco smell these days, I would try little amounts at a time. Make sure you soak it in water prior to using.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 5:18 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
I like to save up onion skins and trimmings, soak 'em up and toss onto the coals, It may not add that much flavor but it sure perks up the noses in the 'hood.

YB

YB,
If you want a subtle flavor of onions, try this method: cut an onion in a half (width wise), dip it in vegetable or olive oil, and use it to grease your grill grates (instead of a brush or a towel). Do this several times after heating the grates real well, and then place your choice of meat on the grates. This method gives any meat a hint of the onion flavor and it saves on burning expensive brushes. I usually leave the onion inside of a bowl full of oil and use a BBQ fork to pick it out and brush the grill with it.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 5:29 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Z this tip may also help the folks that were trying to find alternatives to using paper towels on cast iron grates. And a tasty one at that! Thanks, I'm going to give it a try.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 6:33 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Bob,
All my grates on all my grills are cast iron. And the onion method is what I use on all of them (it will also work on any type of grates). Try it I promise you, you will not be disappointed. The aroma alone is incredible!

Post Wed May 19, 2004 6:50 pm
Big D well done
well done

I like the idea of using a cigar .. I have some very expensive Cohibas (sorry to all your cigar aficindaos to the south that have the Dominican and not Cuban ones) that unfourtunatly went south in a crappy humidor that made the too dry...I didnt want to throw them out as these ones were very pricey,, so I used them to fill the display section of the humidor and make my collection seem far better that reality....

I think I might try one of these puppies in my smoker box and see how it turns out... I am also thinking flavour pipe tabacco I use in a argyle or sheshia... such as Rose, apple, etc.

let ya know how it turns out

Post Wed May 19, 2004 7:41 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Big D,
The tobacco I referred to above is what’s used for Argyle.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 8:43 pm
Big D well done
well done

;) I didnt even seen that...

I think I am going to try some strawberry tobbacco this long weekend, see how that turns out.

Post Thu May 20, 2004 7:17 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Big D -
Just the thought of you using one of your puros to smoke on the grill with is making me cry.!
I have a handful of Habano Cohiba siglo II's left and the thought of burning them up just knots my stomach. I'm green with envy.
Send any extras my way brother!

Post Thu May 20, 2004 8:08 am
Big D well done
well done

hahahahaha I should start a underground Cigar ring ;)

I know what ya mean though,,, it'll be hard to just throw such a fine product in a smoker box and walk away. There are only two things I can think of to make me do this 1. They have gone bad 2. Its for the greater good of BBQ

Cohiba Primiada's Limitred Edition and a few Figurados plus a Montecristo #'s 1 &2 is what I'll have to experiment with

Post Thu May 20, 2004 8:53 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Big D wrote:
Cohiba Primiada's Limitred Edition and a few Figurados plus a Montecristo #'s 1 &2 is what I'll have to experiment with

Now that was just mean. Rub some salt in the wounds.
For those of you who don't smoke cigars the ones our friend (whom I will here to forward refer to as Big Jerk :wink: ) listed are very good. Very Very Good actually.

I've been lucky enough to have Cuban cigars over the years and one of the best I've ever had is the Montecristo #2, that he's going to throw on the grill!

Big Jerk. :lol:

Post Thu May 20, 2004 12:33 pm
Rocket-Ron rare
rare

Just thinking of this whole Cuban thing you have going over there, do you not get Bacardi either?
My cats breathe smells like cat-food

Next

Return to General Discussion