Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cedar Planks

Cedar Planks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:46 am
Mr Dee Dee medium
medium

Well I used my planks yesterday!
Beef Tenderloin Steaks, with a little olive oil rubbed in, Grill-mates seasoning sprinkled on and grilled indirect on the plank to 160°. Sorry no pics but really good.
Mr. Dee Dee is my user name :P
but you can call me Ed
Weber One touch Gold 22.5" and 26.75"
CG w/SFB
WSM 22.5"

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:06 pm
BBQnMama medium-well
medium-well

hmmmmm.. I've never thought of soaking the planks in anything other than water. That might work although I imagine it'd have to be something that isn't super sugary otherwise it'd really burn. wine maybe? A friend of mine smoked some ribs the other day with some scraps of a wine cask and apparently it tasted great.
Traeger Texas Style (BBQ075) w/ Cold Smoker
Weber Summit Silver
Weber Kettle

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:27 pm
Smokin' rare
rare

I've had the pleasure of having BBQnMama's salmon and will give the recipe a resounding thumbs up. Of course I'm a sucker for any tasty grilled treats. :-)
Happy Grilling,
Smokin'

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:06 pm
BBQnMama medium-well
medium-well

Mr Dee Dee - that sounds tasty! And thank-you for the positive feedback, Smokin' :) You and the missus are welcome to come over and enjoy anytime!
Traeger Texas Style (BBQ075) w/ Cold Smoker
Weber Summit Silver
Weber Kettle

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:04 pm
Mr Dee Dee medium
medium

Thanks....it really was... I was afraid that there woud be too strong of a cedar taste, but that was not a problem....very good!!
Mr. Dee Dee is my user name :P
but you can call me Ed
Weber One touch Gold 22.5" and 26.75"
CG w/SFB
WSM 22.5"

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:24 pm
919 medium
medium

I bought a couple of planks yesterday, and I am planning on doing some salmon on friday. I bought a steak and a filet. I typically fiip my salmon using my basket, does the fish stick to the plank. If it does are there any easy ways to correct the situation.
22.5 Weber Gold
18.5 Weber Gold
Weber Smokey Joe

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:49 pm
GrillPimp medium-well
medium-well

oil the plank and slap the filet on it...no need to flip...makes for a great presentation when done.

The BBQ U Atlantic Planked salmon recipe is top notch IMO...check it out if you were searching for a recipe.

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:09 pm
Darter medium
medium

I wandered into Target's patio section and spotted some cedar planks: 4 for ~$12. They were about 12 inches long. But then a couple of questions came to mind as I looked at them:

1. How do you serve your fish...I've had short planks set on a plate in restaurants, but I don't have serving dishes that will hold a 12" plank.

2. The directions said to discard after cooking. Do you really have to throw these away? I thought they were reusable. :?

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:07 am
919 medium
medium

Also, do I grill indirect or direct?

Peace
22.5 Weber Gold
18.5 Weber Gold
Weber Smokey Joe

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:46 am
Darter medium
medium

No experience with these yet (obviously), but I would guess indirect. The plank doesn't need the direct heat and would block direct heat to the meat anyway.

The pros can chime in on this one...

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:26 am
PaulP well done
well done

You can save considerable money by going to a lumber yard and buying an untreated cedar 1X12. An 8' one can be sawn into 8 12" planks. They may even be willing to do that for you for an extra charge. Scrub them good before use.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:56 pm
jcharpentier well done
well done

I have done them direct smolders nicely and imparts a good smokey flavor I use Alder and maple mostly

Post Mon May 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Smokin' rare
rare

JCharp,

I like the idea of using the Maple. I assume you soak the maple, but isn't that more of a hard wood than cedar? Therefore doesn't it take a bit more time to soak the plank?
Happy Grilling,
Smokin'

Post Mon May 01, 2006 8:36 pm
GrillPimp medium-well
medium-well

I use the plank itself as the serving board...makes for a cool presentation. The fish can easily be taken off the board as well(provided it was well oiled before the fish went on)

I do coals on either end of my CG and put the plank dead center (perpendicular if facing the grill)...but then again 919, you own a weber....doubt its versatile enough....

Post Mon May 01, 2006 8:56 pm
Sledneck well done
well done

I soak them in seawater. Indirect cook, brown sugar then i put honey mustard dijon a few minutes b4 it comes off
Steve

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion