Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Haywards in Kansas City, MO

Haywards in Kansas City, MO

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:52 am

Visited KC for the first time and did some checking around. The only place that didn't have any negative feedback was a place called Haywards, so I bit. After landing at the airport I made a beeline south. I started to suspect foul play when I found Haywards surrounded by expensive neighborhoods and corporate parks.

Now I understand everyone is passionate about their area's "Q", but the BBQ didn't impress me. In fact, it was a real letdown. I didn't smell any smoke when I got out of the car, so that should have been my first clue.

I ordered a full rack of ribs and a plate of what they called burnt ends and sausage. The meat came slathered in a sauce that could best be compared to ketchup mixed with vinegar and maybe a little brown sugar. (By the way, if I want sauce on my BBQ, that should be MY option). The meat had no flavor of its own and tasted as though it had been roasted in an oven vs. slow smoked. I also ordered beans and onion rings as sides. The beans were matched with the same sauce. The rings were akin to something that you'd get at Burger King. It was just really nasty food regardless of style.

Now I will admit that I am from Texas and I like Texas-style slow-smoked barbeque , but I have eaten ribs at Corky's in Memphis and been in rib nirvana. I've had pulled pork sandwiches in the Carolinas and salivated like a big dog. The bottom line is good food is good food whereever you go. Unfortunately, my business trip schedule will not allow me to sample more of the Famous KC style barbecue, (unless Famous Daves in Manhattan is worth it), but I hope for the sake of reputation, there is better "Q" in the KC area. Haywards gets a thumbs-down :(

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:33 am
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

Wow, having grown up in KC I can tell you that Haywards would probably be way down towards the bottom of my list of BBQ places to eat in KC. And just right above them would be Gates. I even think KC Masterpiece is better than both - and I don't like that place much either! Next time your in KC, post something here and I'm sure a number of us can direct you to better places.

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:18 pm

I hate to say that this business trip came upon me rather suddenly, and between being swamped at work and home, I didn't do my research until a couple of days ago. I don't remember exactly where I got the feedback from, but it was one of those things where I typed "Best Barbecue in Kansas City" and read the reviews on the site.

Like I've said on another posting, good food is good food. Sure, folks up here make their Q a little different, but so what. I've had VERY bad barbeque in my own city and the place is still in business. Go figure.

I think when I get home, I'm going to fire up my newly-seasoned smoker and make my own..because I can. :wink:

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:33 pm

I don't know who would have ever said that Haywards was the best in K C because anyone from there would have to have directed you to Arther Bryants. The original is down in the old Blue's section of town and they even made the top 3 in america on the cable channels last year.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:34 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Mrfisherman! :D

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:32 am
KOB raw
raw

I travel for business as well and research my BBQ tours. For Kansas City:

Gates - don't get me started. Horrible brisket and average ribs. Way down my list.
KC Masterpiece - not worth it. Sauce is bad meat is a mess.
Arthur Bryant's - yummy. Sauce good, burnt ends are nice (flew home one afternoon and stopped off to get a pound of ends for the wife). Way up my list.
LC's - might be in the hood and I mean gang bangers in the parking lot and an armed guard in the store, but worth the drive. Good stuff.

I won't mention the other places.

Now ask me about Texas Q and I can go on for a month.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:43 pm

Hey KOB. Fellow Texan here (transplant from Louisiana in '92). Go ahead and ramble about Texas Q. At least within 25-30 miles of where I am (Killeen) I have found it to be devoid of culinary hope. Of course, being a military town, it's not REALLY Texas, I guess. However, since my sister-in-law and her husband now live in the DFW area and I plan to visit periodically, I would be mighty obliged if you could point me to some bodacious Q. Thank you sir.

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:22 pm
GrillyDog raw
raw

All time favorite has to be Arthur Bryant's (the original one near the Blues District).

If you are looking for something more Yuppie, Jack Stack is pretty good.

I was not impressed with KC Masterpiece in Country Club Plaza.

I had a good meal at Gates', but I thnk the location may be critical for most of the joints that have opened up branches. Most of the ones I went to seem to have better que in the old locations , versus the suburbs.

Post Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:19 am
DaHorns medium
medium

TexasShutterbug wrote:
Hey KOB. Fellow Texan here (transplant from Louisiana in '92). Go ahead and ramble about Texas Q. At least within 25-30 miles of where I am (Killeen) I have found it to be devoid of culinary hope. Of course, being a military town, it's not REALLY Texas, I guess. However, since my sister-in-law and her husband now live in the DFW area and I plan to visit periodically, I would be mighty obliged if you could point me to some bodacious Q. Thank you sir.

There is a place near you in Belton, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Its right off of IH-35. When you come off of the fly over from Killeen headed N on 35 you will exit immediatly and turn L under the bridge. Its down that road just past the Sonic. I think it starts with a "S"--"Schobels" or something like that.

Now if you wanna take a road trip you have some REALLY good bbq down the road in the Austin area. Stubb's in Austin (Red River), Cooper's in Llano, City Market in Luling, Kruez's or Smitty's in Lockhart, and my favorite The Salt Lick in Driftwood. Salt Lick is also opening a place in Round Rock in the soon future, keep your eyes open.

Hook 'Em

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:58 am

Rickey's Pit is good in KC, Zarda is pretty nice(if you can find one). Gates has gone down hill...but the BBQ sauce is still the tops for me. I dont know what I would do without Gates BBQ Sauce, Original.

If you are in Killeen, head on up to Mikeska's in Temple. I know I am starting to sound like a cheerleader, but its really good. :D

LVS
Weber Performer One Touch Charcoal Grill

Return to Best BBQ Joint