Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What's the best baby back cook time?

What's the best baby back cook time?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 12:45 pm
sross rare
rare

Hey everybody. I have a 22in Weber and use indirect grilling all the time, but I seem to be either pulling my ribs off a little too early or using too many briquets and the meat gets cooked too soon. My question is this - about how much charcoal should I use and how long should I leave the ribs on?

Scott
3-2-1!

Post Mon May 17, 2004 4:57 pm
Don Marco

Howdy...

Actually, there is NO best cooking time for anything but eggs...
Remember, no 2 slabs of ribs are the same, and neither is the condition in your kettle in 2 different cooks.

Most impostant thing would be to check the temps inside the kettle, cause then you´re in contrlol and can build upon that.
A weber gas grill thermometer, stuck through the top vent and secured with a cork will do ok for a start.

Heres some extra information on cooking ribs in a kettle :

http://www.thesmokering.com/HowTo/weberribs/default.jsp

Hope this helps !

Don Marco
Germany

Post Wed May 19, 2004 7:44 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Don Marco -
Thats a great response, please consider signing in and sticking around a while. Anyone willing to take the time to sketch a drawing and post it to help a fellow Q'uer is alright in my book.
Hey my stick figures even come out looking poorly!

Welcome aboard, enjoy the insanity.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 7:57 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This was cut and pasted from the link he supplied.

But I don't think he could have found a better visual and descrpition in he tried.

This drawing shows the "old style" Bar-B-Kettle with the three independent vents. They allowed you to provide airflow only under the side with the charcoal. On a One Touch you can acheive the same effect by using the foil type duct tape on the bottom outside of the grill and blocking two of the openings. (a little tricky on a gold or a platinum, but it can be done)

This carries the heat and smoke across the cooking zone, and creates a an even stronger convection effect.

YB

Post Wed May 19, 2004 8:51 am

Grand Scale wrote:
Thats a great response, please consider signing in and sticking around a while.

Howdy...

Done, expect to see me around more often from now on... :mrgreen:

@ Yard Burner :

Do you really think its necessary to tape the vent holes ? I think that small ammount of incoming air you need when smoking in the kettle really doesnt matter.
Always had good results with my old one touch gold ,
but nothin beats the WSM when its time for ribs.

Next thing i´m gonna try as soon as my rotisserie arrives is cook indirect on my new platinum with the rotisserie ring and an extra grate mounted in the ring.
I´ll have to cook ribs for about 60 guys at work in july, and then i´m gonna use the WSM and the Platinum with 2 extra grates in the rotisserie ring.

Don Marco

Post Wed May 19, 2004 8:53 am
Don Marco well done
well done

D´oh ! That was me up there... :roll:

Don Marco

Post Wed May 19, 2004 9:32 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Don Marco, I've seen you around but it's been a while. Glad you signed up and signed in! :D Welcome aboard.

P.S. We spent three years in Germany and loved it. Got a good recipe for the Schwenkbraten dry rub or the champignon (mushrooms) sold at fests and cooked in those huge pans.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 7:35 pm
sross rare
rare

Thanks for everybody's tips. I can't wait for Saturday when I give it a shot!

Welcome, Don Marco!

Scott

Return to General Discussion