Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion To Mop or not to Mop…?

To Mop or not to Mop…?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 6:01 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

Hey all. Getting things in order for my nephew’s graduation party in a few weeks. Have been trying to deicide on what rub or marinade I should use on the tri-tips and chicken.

I think I’ve decided to go with the Basic BBQ Rub from the book for the chicken… it seems to really flavor the Chicken nicely cooking it over direct heat (Lump charcoal).

The Tri-Tip is another issue though. I’ve tried a few different rubs… all yielding great taste, but the beef is not staying as most as I would like. I’ve been going through the BBQ Bible looking for a good combination of a rub and a mopping sauce to use on the Beef (maybe a good Beer or ??? mop sauce). I was thinking if I could Mop the Tri-tip during the cooking process, it would stay much moister.

Looking for any suggestions.

Thanks,
JC

Post Tue May 18, 2004 4:37 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

I mop everything that might dry out on me. Even if it's just with the basic BBQ mop. Of course over direct charcoal, I found that the spillage from the mop cooled the fire down a bit and I had to cook it longer.

Post Tue May 18, 2004 4:55 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Use a brush instead of a mop and go a little lighter on the sauce. For small batches a mop wastes a lot of baste.

YB

Post Wed May 19, 2004 2:31 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Mops can add some great flavor too. I really like the vinegar based ones. BBcue-Z just posted a recipe for one with pineapple juice, worchester sauce, and beer. I can't wait to try that one too.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 7:49 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BBcueZ's full recipe is in the "Roast Beef for Pulled Beef" thread. How do I remember this. That's where I copied it from. It is GREAT!

Post Wed May 19, 2004 12:36 pm
dkirn well done
well done

For a basic no frills mop I use Apple Cider and I put it in a spray bottle to make the application easier. The apple cider adds a little flavor (not much) but always keeps any kind of meat moist. I usually spray the meat every 45 minutes when smoking, every 10 minutes when grilling.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 5:21 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Grand.
I’m so glad that you liked my recipe :D

Return to General Discussion