Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion NEW GUY HERE... NEED YOUR OPIONIONS OF SUMMIT GOLD D PLEASE

NEW GUY HERE... NEED YOUR OPIONIONS OF SUMMIT GOLD D PLEASE

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sun May 09, 2004 10:48 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Vinsect, I like the smoker fairly well for my needs. I hadn't done any smoking before I got it. The only problem I've had is getting it up to temp sometimes on windy day's. I made a wind block for it out of some of that sheet type insulation ( basically just a square box a little larger than the smoker) and that takes care of the problem 99% of the time.

I use soaked chunk's, hickory mostly. The element is kind of a " U " shaped deal with about a 21/2 - 3 " space between the sides of the " U " where they run parallel with each other.
I lay the chunks right on the bottom tray in this space and they smoke just fine. I've heard other's say they set the chunk's directly on the element and like that method, I guess it's just a personal preference thing.

I chose this unit because at the time it was one of the few electric unit's I was aware of that came with an adjustable thermostat, and as a newbie Q'er I figured I couldn't mess thing's up as much as I could w/ wood or charcoal. I've found that I don't really have to use the adjustment very often, most times set on high it'll maintain about 225 deg. and at times might spike to 250 for a while which isn't usually a problem for me.

I can't comment much on the cheaper red unit's you mentioned, don't know much about them or anyone who uses one. I don't remember exactly, but I think I paid around $80.00 for mine at Lowes or HD at the time. Don't know if this is of any help to you or not. Best Wishes, YB2.
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Mon May 10, 2004 11:50 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Thanks YBII,
That does help. For some reason I wasn't picturing using whole chunks. That may make all the difference in the world. Thermostatic control isn't anything to sneer at either. I sure wouldn't buy an oven without a thermostat.. As for the low temps, that's really what separates a smoker from a grill... being able to give long low temps.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun May 16, 2004 4:44 pm
Big D well done
well done

Hey sorry for not responding quicker,... I was away in Florida and dint see this post...

I am the proud owner of the Summit Gold D for about a month now. I [aid $2400 Canadian or approx $1700 U.S.

I LOVE IT

Needless to say, as a university student this broke my bank. BUT IT WAS, IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE WORTH IT FOR A GREAT BBQ.

The built in smoker is fabulous for getting a great wood taste to help offset some of the downside of not being charcoal. The rotisserie burner is outstanding... I love rotisserie chicken but its even better when I can do it over the Q rather than my indoor contraption.

And 6 burners + a commercial grade side burner.... It is incredibly simple to do indirect grilling or cook up a entire feast! I had two Beer can chickens + A BBQ cabbage and a dozen 1/2 burgers on the grill all at once (burgers on the side over the heat and rest in the middle for indirect grilling)... needless to say thats a lot of food./... not to mention I had bannas falmbe on the side burner

GREAT PRODUCT... Its a Webber - nuff said

Post Sun May 16, 2004 7:07 pm

Hi Big D,

Thank's for the encouraging reply. Wish I could give some feedback on the grill but I still haven't received it yet. They had shipped it out and it somehow ended up in a warehouse some place. They've shipped out another one and I should be getting it this Wed.

Do you know how big the box is that this thing is packed in? The reason I'm asking is they deliver it curbside and I have a 100 ft. long driveway I need to take it down. I know it is about 250 lbs. I have a shell on the back of my pick-up and don't think the box will fit in. Might need to have my neighbor's small trailer standing by. All the best, YB2

Post Sun May 16, 2004 8:03 pm
Big D well done
well done

I had mine assembled and delivered.... I do belive its a fairly large box but you might be able to fit it in your pick up but I would recommend having the trailer on standby.... or two people to carry it with plenty of lemmondade waiting by the house....

another ption is to just assemble it curbside and wheel it down the drive way ;)

gl and have fun

Post Mon May 17, 2004 7:29 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Mine came unassembled. If thats the case you should have no problem fitting it in your pickup with the capper on. D has a great idea though. The assembly is so easy that if worst comes to worst you could always assemble the big guy and wheel it up the dirveway. Assembly is literrally a snap. Enjoy your new toy!

Post Mon May 17, 2004 7:18 pm

Thank's guy's, I was thinking that idea over but am afraid of having a bunch of hungry neighbor's following down the driveway like a pack of hungry Dingo's once they see that baby all set up :wink: YB2

Post Mon May 17, 2004 7:23 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Sorry, forgot to login above, again :roll: YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Wed May 19, 2004 7:40 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

They'll be there soon enough once you get the big boy cooking...

Previous

Return to General Discussion