Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mail Order

Mail Order

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 16, 2004 8:37 pm
Big D well done
well done

Well I have searched the topic and found some info in the history but would like frsh opinions on the subject.

As a university student still takin a few summer classes to get a head start on my first year to law school and startin a new summer job I dont have a lot of time to go see my butcher as I would like - mainly for weeknights. I know of the obvious mail order meat suppliers such as Omaha steaks and have obviously visited the sites of specialty suppliers in SR's books... but for generic steaks and maybe a few other meats I would like to know if anyone has any fav supplier or knows of one with absoulutly top quality dry-aged steak.... and if ya know they will deliver to Canada that is even better! ;)

DON'T WORRY PEOPLE... I will always visit my butcher every Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday for the more important Q's

More importantly than a meat supplier is a mail order wood supplier... as I have said many times, due to the overwhelming abundanc of the world's highest quality and perhaps cheapest priced lobster and other seafood, there is very little BBQ awith the exception of the odd burger, tube steak and occasional t-bone. Smoking is almost unheard of, actualy people often yell at me that smoke is comin from my BBQ like I am sort of crazed fool who has never used a BBQ. Anyways there is pretty much no chips avalible in stores other than Hickory and Mesquite and I dont have a lot of time to go out in the woods and get other wood such as maple... plus I would like some exotic woods. Another downside to living in an apartment I cant get firewood suppliers to deliver a druck load of wood... so I just need bagged chips and chunks...

Oh and that rant about people being alarmed about smoke ocmin from the Q has got me thinking - Every time I walk by a BBQ that has no smoke I am going to yell and scream like the food is rotting and goin bad or on fire or somethin..... tisk tisk

;)

Post Sun May 16, 2004 10:00 pm

Big D,

Sorry I can't help you on a source for mail order beef. However, albiet not exotic, I can't imagine a much better tasting steak than one from a well aged backstrap or tenderloin of a Nova Scotia Moose :lol: . As an avid hunter, I'm a big fan of properly cared for and properly prepared wild game.

As a transplanted Yankee now living in the south, and due to our healthy Deer population and liberal bag limit's, I feel very fortunate that I'm able to keep the larder well stocked with venison and wild boar. Although I've never been able to draw a Moose permit anywhere. :cry:

Just out of curiousity, what's the going summer price (U.S.) per lb. for Lobster up your way? In Va. it's $10.00 - $12.00 lb. in the super market's currently. The Seafood is one thing for sure that I must confess I miss about New England.

Best Wishes, YB2

Post Sun May 16, 2004 10:07 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

OOP'S! Sorry, forgot to log in before I posted above. :oops: YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Mon May 17, 2004 12:07 pm
Big D well done
well done

bout $10 as we get closer to summer (CDN) so roughly $7 U.S. I did get some live lobsters for as low as $6 CDN or around $4.50 ish U.S. during the winter....

I always can get a couple lobsters free from a local provider cause I provided him some free consulting work in Asia......

Its all pretty cheap up here... there is a really good lobster dinner place I know of that is put on as a church fundraiser every sat and sunday... $15 CDN for a 1lb lobster but it comes with all you can eat fish chowder and mussels and roles and salads and a peice of nova scotia blueberry pie (we are also the blueberry capital of the world).

But nothin beats cooking em on the Q.. especially for affect... I cant tell ya how many die hard lobster fans almost strangle me when they see me cut a live lobster in half and throw it on the grill for the first time,,,,,

Post Mon May 17, 2004 7:30 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

i'd bet they release that strangle hold pretty quick when it comes time to pick one up off the grill to eat it :lol:
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Return to General Discussion