Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Baptism Brunch help!

Baptism Brunch help!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 2:59 pm
Smokecoat rare
rare

I could use some input:
On Sunday, 5/23 my baby daughter is getting baptised. Afterwards, we're having 9 people over to our place to eat. People will be relatively dressed up. I'm making food. I'd like to cook the majority of stuff out on my Weber Genesis Gold C (gas) grill, as the oven will heat up the house too much.

So...

Any suggestions on what I might serve? Like I said, people will be dressed up, and will be eating off plates on their laps, so nothing that really requires a knife and fork, and nothing too sloppy. One thought I have is chicken satays.

Can any of you BBQ gurus give a few ideas? Any will be GREATLY appreciated!

Post Wed May 12, 2004 3:30 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

First off congratulations to you.
Check out my menu under the Big Party thread. This is what I served for my daughters communion party. The beef sates went almost before I got any. I posted the recipe for the marinade I used in the Flank Steak Marinade thread.

Good Luck

RichD

Post Thu May 13, 2004 7:07 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For a smaller big group like that (does that make sense?) You can do something that requires a bit more prep work, whereas with lots of people the prep would kill you. Something like shihs kebabs may be jusy what you're looking for. Beef, Chicken, Shrimp, and lots of fresh veggies. Can be made in advance, and don't tale lots of time to cook, giving you more time at the party. Your "C" will handle a load of them at a time too.

Wings and ribs come right to mind but would probably be too messy.

You can never go wrong with chicken parts.

Good luck and Congrats.

Post Thu May 13, 2004 5:36 pm
TerpDave rare
rare

Smokecoat,
Congratulations on your daughter. The best piece of advice I can impart is having your raw meats prepared but not cooked ahead of time. Once that grill is going, you don't want to be running back and forth to the kitchen fetching meat.

Couple of recomendations:
Cover some thin-sliced chicken breasts in Steve's Cajun seasoning. Throw 'em on the grill for a few minutes. They cook fast. Put them on fresh rolls, and you'll be set.

If there are any vegetarians in your group:
Don't even consider veggie burgers. I've seen better things come from under the lawn mower. You however can consider stuffed peppers. Halve and seed some bell peppers. Make a stuffing of ricotta, mozzerella, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, garlice and little olive oil. Fill the shells with this mixture and top with grated parmesan. On the grill for about 10 mins.

Easy chicken wings:
Using fresh chicken wings, cover with olive oil and Old Bay. The olive oil might flare, be careful.

Good luck with all of this. Let us know how it goes
"Hmmmm this IS a tasty Burger"

Return to General Discussion