Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Consumer Reports Tests Grills

Consumer Reports Tests Grills

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 12:23 am
PaulP well done
well done

In the June issue, the reasults of this year's grill tests are listed. Grills are ranked within size in order of performance:

Medium-Sized Grills
1. Jenn-Air JA46P
2. Vermont Castings CP9030LP (Best Buy)
3. Broilmaster P3[BL]
4. Kenmore 16228
5. TEC Patio II
6. Thermos 461246804 (Best Buy)
7. Weber Genesis Silver B
8. Ducane 7100SHLPE
9. Coleman 5100 Series (Best Buy)
10. Fiesta Optima (Best Buy)
11. Char-Broil Big Easy
12. Great Outdoors Ironware
13. Ducane Standard Series 16055SHLPE
14. Holland Tradition
15. Ducane Standard Series 1305SHLPE
16. Brinkmann Pro Series 2200
17. Char-Broil 7000 Quick Set
18. Char-Broil 8000 Quick Set
19 Brinkmann Pro Series 2600

This group is kind of surprising since the Weber was top of this class and a best buy last year. I'mnot sure if this reflects design changes in the Weber or increasing quality in the other units. In any case, I'm not about to scrap my Weber, necause I still feel that it will last longer than most of the others. For example, of the units ranked above the Weber, only the Broilmaster ($1200), TEC ($1300), and Thermos ($400) have burners guaranteed for 10 years.

Large Grills
1. Weber Summit Gold A
2. Member's Mark Monarch
3. Kenmore 15337
4. Aussie Bonza 4

Note that there is a big drop in performance between the Weber Summit and the Member's Mark.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Wed May 12, 2004 12:53 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great Info. Guess Consumers will sell alot more issues this month!

Rating the Jennaire and Vermont offerings higher than Weber is interesting. Wish they would rate parts availability and customer service in their tests.

Just to be fair I have a Kenmore Elite and have had real crappy parts access.

You walk into a Sears to get parts for a grill with THEIR! name on it and the only parts you can walk out of the store with are for Weber grills!!

Everybody changes designs too often.

When the extended warranty runs out (or Sears refuses to come fix it) A Summit Gold D will find a place of honor on my deck.

Love the way my Sears cooks, but, STOCK SOME PARTS!!

YB

Post Wed May 12, 2004 11:32 am
PaulP well done
well done

Two things about these tests. First, they do not consider long-term reliability or customer service at all. Second, of the six grills that finished higher than Weber, two cost approximately 3 times Weber's price, and another is 50% more.

Incidentially, they said the two Ducanes had a poor grease collection system, and had frequent flare-ups as a result. They also feel that the TEC infrared cooking system is expensive and "of dubious value". "While the TEC performed well, so did other grills that cost far less."
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sat May 15, 2004 9:53 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

For what its worth, the July issue of Fine Cooking has a good article on gas grills. It would be very helpful for someone trying to decide which one to buy.

Post Sun May 16, 2004 4:35 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

According to the vendor that handles Vermont Castings at our H.D. the Jen-Aire at number one is the same grill as a Vermont Castings we carry with the same model number. These are nice grills. I see them side by side 5 days a week at work and I sell them. I still prefer Weber though.
Also interesting, our vendor is not actually employed by Vermont Castings. His company is subcontracted to handle their account for H.D. He says the service from Vermont Castings is poor and their unreliable to get parts from.
I'm not here to bash Vermont Castings. They are good grills. I still like Weber better though. I sell them both.
In comparrison, Webers also come with propane tanks and propane tank scales. Vermont Castings come with neither.
I've heard several people here remark more than once how good Webers customer service is. Weber is a grill you can grow old with.

Disclaimer:
This is merely conversation between friends. My views do not neccesarilly represent the views of Home Depot. My vendors views do not neccessarily represent the views of his employer either.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion