Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sausage makers out there...

Sausage makers out there...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 08, 2004 10:01 am
Loene rare
rare

I am thinking of starting making sausage and have been looking at meat grinders that also come with sausage attachments. What type of grinders are you guys using out there? I have seen some priced as low as $30-40 to over $100. Just want to make sure that I get what I need and not something thats going to be bad/broken within a few months. Thanks for your help guys

Post Sun May 09, 2004 10:24 am

I bought one on ebay. Very happy with it. Its a "tasin 108 "w/full 1200 watt motor. I think I paid 140.00. I've done venision ect. with it. I love to make homemade sausage, lots of work but real good. I open for any questions. I've made venision sausage, Kelbasia, Italian ect.

Post Sun May 09, 2004 10:30 am

forgot to sign in here my user name from that last post
63' "original"
73' 149 hydro

Post Mon May 10, 2004 7:37 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This company has a good selection in all price ranges.

www.alliedkenco.com/

YB

Post Mon May 10, 2004 10:01 am
TOMP rare
rare

I use the attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer. It works great. Comes w/ 2 disc. I use the larger disc mostly.One tip I can give you in making sausage is to keep everything cold. Divide the meat up and only take out of the fridge what you can work with. I also put my grinder attachements in the fridge b/4 hand.

Good luck

Tom

Post Mon May 10, 2004 8:03 pm

I found the kichen aid to be struggling during the sausage making process. Just my 2 cents.

Pete's bbq-n-tap room

Post Mon May 10, 2004 9:04 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I found the collagen casings are best for beginners (no matter what equipment you use). The natural casings have to be soaked and handled with extreme care. The collagen casings don’t require soaking and they don’t get all twisted and tangled up. Once you become comfortable with the process, then you can switch to the natural casings.
I have a Kitchen Aid with sausage attachments and a stand-alone meat grinder with sausage attachments, and I have not noticed much difference in the stuffing process. The only thing I prefer grinding the meat with the stand-alone meat grinder. It has a wider opening and it works faster and grinds meat with ease. It also has a metal attachment, which I usually chill for an hour prior to using. This prevents the fat from melting during grinding and stuffing.
Here is a link for sausage casings:
http://www.zachspice.com/shop.php?Call= ... &cat_id=23
Also check : www.northerntools.com for meat grinders.
Good luck.

Return to General Discussion