Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork Shoulder Cooking Time?

Pork Shoulder Cooking Time?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 12:35 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I did the pork shoulder on Friday. Two of the at about 4.5 pounds each. The smoker maintained a temp of about 250 - 270 degrees aal day. I put them on at 8:30 AM and didn't get done until 2:00 AM.
HTG gives a cooking time of about 4-6 hrs done on a grill set up to smoke. Now I know a grill set up this way will average higher temps. Should I have used a higher temp? I would like to be able to start in the morning and be ready to eat in the evening. Did I do something wrong or did I just not start early enough.

RichD

Post Mon May 10, 2004 1:39 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

RichD if I'm reading your post correctly, you're saying it took 17 & 1/2 hours to cook the pork at 250-270*?

I've cooked 8-10 pound Boston Butts at 225-250* and they've finished in 12 hours, but I'm wanting to do them low-n-slow.

In a kettle, using the indirect medthod, it's probably cooking at 300-350* and will certainly finish a lot sooner.

With the small shoulders that you were cooking and the temperatures that you maintained, I would have expected the pork to be ready by supper!

Anyone else have any ideas???

Post Mon May 10, 2004 1:52 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

You are correct. My smoking chamber maintained 250-270 and it took 17 hours. Not that I mind as it was very good. In fact it still is. I just think it should have been done sometime around 6:30 - 7:00 PM.
Thought I did something wrong.

RichD

Post Mon May 10, 2004 2:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I wouldn't say you did anything wrong. From the information you provided, I would have expected your pork to have finished in 8-10 hours. Considering your cuts were smaller than my typical cut and your temps were higher than mine, your meat should have been done sooner.

I don't know how often or how long you open your smoker. When you open it you add to the time it takes to cook because the temperatures drop and the smoker has to recover. I won't open mine more that once an hour and I make it as short as possible. Have your smoke wood, mop sauce, temperature gauge, etc... on-hand are ready when you access your smoker.

Another possibility is that your temperature gauge is incorrect or improperly placed and that you had lower temperatures than expected. The gauge should be located as close as possible to the area (level) where your food is cooking. If the gauge is located higher than your food, it will most likely record higher temps.

You could certainly use higher temperatures to cook the food faster, but I would try checking the equipment for accuracy first.

Post Mon May 10, 2004 3:01 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If I recall you have a Char-broil offset. The temp gauge hole provided can read 50 degrees higher or more than the actual grate level temp.

First cook I did on a NBS hondo 'bout 10 years ago was baby backs.

Cooked 'em low and slow for 4-5 hours. They looked perfect, mahogony colored and glistening.

When we cut in to them they were raw just below the surface.

All as a result of relying on the thermometer hold provided.

Could be this was the problem?

YB

Post Mon May 10, 2004 3:05 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I open the smoker once an hour to mop and I have the mop ready when I do to minimize the heat loss.
Now that you mention it though my temp gauge is located in the stock hole in the top of the chamber. Not takin this into consideration my temps at grill level were probably 10-20 degrees lower which would probably account for the longer cooking time.
As it is a new smoker I didn't want to void the warranty by drilling a new hole for the temp gauge. Maybe I'll get one of those Polder dual temp gauges for the time being. I have a polder now, but it doesn't read the chamber temp.

RichD

Post Mon May 10, 2004 3:08 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Thanks Yard. Your response came in while I was typing. Yes I have the Charbroil Silver Smoker and did mount the temp gauge in the stock hole to avoid voiding the warranty.
I knew there could be a temp difference, but didn't take that into consideration.
I will either move the gauge or get the Polder Duel temp.

RichD

Post Mon May 10, 2004 4:15 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

I also notice that you did not mention the weather conditions when cooking. Wind and mild temps will extend the cooking time as well. I just smoked a pork butt Saturday, and stuck with my tried and true method...stick the thermo into the meat in the thickest center portion for a reading.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Mon May 10, 2004 4:32 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I don't think the weather was a factor. It was sunny and in the 70's with only a light breeze.
The temp guage maintained a steady 250-270 all day. I think it is more likely the grate temp was much lower causing my cooking time to increase.

RichD

Post Tue May 11, 2004 9:02 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

RichD the Polder dual probe is a good solution without voiding your warrantee! I’m sure it will correct the issue with cooking times & temps.

Post Tue May 11, 2004 9:07 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Till you pick up a Polder try placing an oven thermometer on the rack next to the meat.

When you open to baste, a quick glance will give you an idea of your temp.

Rub a bar of Ivory soap on the glass of the them. and the schmootz will wipe off with a sponge.

YB

Post Tue May 11, 2004 9:34 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB, I don't think that I've heard the soap tip before (maybe I missed it). Thanks, I've been using oven cleaner to clean up afterwards.

Return to General Discussion