Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion need ideas on beef roast!

need ideas on beef roast!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat May 08, 2004 10:44 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

There are many "beef roasts" Rib eye, eye of round, steamship etc.

A tough cut will get tender with slow cooking while a tender cut will turn to "butter".

Fat cap helps but is the roast marbled as well? Could be a small boneless rib roast or an eye of round.

One indicator would be how much it cost per pound. Rib should cost more that an eye of round.

I'd err on the slow side. Slow is easier to pull from the heat and retains more of its' moisture.

Any beef rub will do. Just don't over salt. Long cooking times tend to concentrate the saltiness. You can always add salt after. You can never take salt away.

YB[/url]

Post Sun May 09, 2004 12:18 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I love doing roast beef on my smoker. In my family we really love using a vineagar based mop sause.
( see How To Grill p.445)
Also, I can't say enough about my Polder Thermometer and my Jaccard tenderizer. They help me get great roast beef.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun May 09, 2004 6:39 am

Anyone heard of Chuck Eye Roast?
If you want a real tender and strong beefy tasting roast without having to pay too much money, then you should try this cut of beef. We all know and love the famous Rib roast. But we all also know how much it could cost! Well, believe it or not, we have an alternative that is almost as good for almost half the price. You see the Rib roast comes from the area of rib 6 through 12 (the upper breast portion). The Chuck eye roast however, comes from the area of rib 1 through 5 (the chuck area). So the rib roast is really a continuation of this cut. Yes it’s slightly tougher than the rib roast, but it’s so slight no one can notice it. And this cut has a very strong beefy flavor, it requires very little treatment (such as rub or marinade). Give it a try, you’ll be surprised with the results.

Post Sun May 09, 2004 6:42 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Anonymous wrote:
Anyone heard of Chuck Eye Roast?
If you want a real tender and strong beefy tasting roast without having to pay too much money, then you should try this cut of beef. We all know and love the famous Rib roast. But we all also know how much it could cost! Well, believe it or not, we have an alternative that is almost as good for almost half the price. You see the Rib roast comes from the area of rib 6 through 12 (the upper breast portion). The Chuck eye roast however, comes from the area of rib 1 through 5 (the chuck area). So the rib roast is really a continuation of this cut. Yes it’s slightly tougher than the rib roast, but it’s so slight no one can notice it. And this cut has a very strong beefy flavor, it requires very little treatment (such as rub or marinade). Give it a try, you’ll be surprised with the results.

Sorry guys, that was me. I have a new computer that did not log in on the site automatically :lol:

Post Mon May 10, 2004 3:55 am
TerpDave rare
rare

SmokeyBones,
That roast is practically begging to be cooked indirectly. Assuming that you are working on a Weber kettle, I'd recommend the following:
Rub the meat all over with a touch of olive oil
Give it a healthy rub of Steve's 'Texas Sprinkle' I think it is in his marinade and sauce book
Push all the coals to one side
Put a drip pan on the other side
The roast goes over the drip pan

It should take you 50-70 mins

It'll be amazing

-TerpDave
"Hmmmm this IS a tasty Burger"

Post Mon May 10, 2004 7:15 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dave Welcome to the Board!
Good to see another Nor'Easter!!
Enjoy the Insanity.

As for the question at hand I agree, go low, go slow, you'll enjoy.

Post Thu May 13, 2004 6:16 pm

SmokeyBones,
One thing you might want to try is doing a pork tenderloin. Put garlic gloves into small slits you've cut in the meat. Add some coarse salt and crushed black pepper. If the tenderloin you buy comes as two pieces toothpick them together. This should cook in about 35-40 mins indirect on a Weber kettle. Using the "Stillhouse sauce" (Jack Daniels) in Steve's marinade book is a great way to finish.
-TerpDave

Post Thu May 13, 2004 6:17 pm
TerpDave rare
rare

That was me. I forgot to login. Lousy computers.
"Hmmmm this IS a tasty Burger"

Post Fri May 14, 2004 7:07 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Smokey -
I love pork loins myself. If you can geta cut with a bit of fat on it, so much the better. The favorites in my house are Steve's Irish Whiskey Glaze (I know Vinsect it's not scotch, but at least its still whiskey) and Spfranz's Watermelon marinade. Do a search on this site for "watermelon" and you'll find it. The salsa that goes with it is awesome too!!

Good luck, and enjoy!

Post Fri May 14, 2004 12:59 pm
BBQinFL rare
rare

I did a 5 lb chuck roast a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to do another this weekend.

I rubbed the roast with one of my favorite Rubs (www.texasbbqrub.com), and put it on the bottom grate of my Weber Bullet, with a pork Butt on the top grate. Had the cooker steady at 225 for the entire cook. Started with Minion Method, about 10 hot coals and a full charcoal ring.

Had the therm in the butt, because that was going to finish sooner. Took the butt to 170*, foiled after spritzing with apple juice, took it off the smoker at 190*. At that time I foiled the chuck roast, after putting about 1/4 cup of bouillon in the foil. Back on the top grate for 2 hours. Total cooking time: 15 hours, 13 for the butt. Didn't worry too much about the temp in the chuck - too many different muscle groups in one of those... 3 hr./lb. has been pretty reliable for me.

Wrapped in more foil, towels, into a dry cooler for a couple more hours. Both were excellent!
ImageA pig serves no purpose in life other than to be delicious!

Post Fri May 14, 2004 6:37 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here ia a picture of the chuck eye roast:

Post Fri May 14, 2004 10:55 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

My favorite mop is a mixture of pineapple juice, Worcestershire sauce and beer. You could also substitute apple juice for pineapple (pineapple juice tenderizes meat). I wouldn’t cover the roast with foil. Just place a pan full of apple juice underneath it and indirect grill it. The liquid will keep it moist and the apple juice will concentrate and form a glaze for the roast. Once the juice turns to light brown and as thick as syrup, remove it and reserve it for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Brush the roast with the apple glaze several times during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Don’t let the glaze burn, this happens very fast. Keep a close watch and keep temperature down. As far as rub, I usually use a combo of salt, pepper, granulated onion and garlic powder, paprika, and you choice of an herb (oregano, thyme, rosemary…). Also through some apple chips on the fire, they will complement the glaze.
Good luck.

Next

Return to General Discussion