Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion bbq with foil

bbq with foil

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 08, 2004 12:30 pm
drice507

I was watching BBQU on TV this morning and I missed the part about barbecuing with foil. What is the difference between using the dull side up as oppossed to the shiny side up?

Post Sat May 08, 2004 4:05 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The difference in the finish is a result of the manufacturing process. When the final extrusion takes place the foil goes through the rollers two thicknesses at a time. The shiny side is in contact with the polished surface of the roller and the dull side is in contact with the other piece of foil. Some people claim that there is a difference in cooking on side or the other.

Never noticed a diff. myself.

YB

Post Sat May 08, 2004 8:17 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I heard somewhere that the shiny side supposed to reflect the heat, and the dull side supposed to absorb it??

Post Sat May 08, 2004 10:27 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't think that is by design. But upon further reflection we feel that the dull side may have a tendency to stick a little less.

We also have fallen in love with the "Release" version for placing under delicate foods.

For salmon, rub it w/ fat of choice then plop down the fish. Season as you wish and grill alittle past opaque. It almost slides itself off of the foil.

I've done this with and without cutting slits in the foil. With slits results in a cripser skin, but it seems to make the mudline (dark meat along the lineal line) taste a little stronger, but not oblectionable

YB

Return to General Discussion