x

The Best BBQ Delivered to You!

Sign up here for Steven’ Raichlen’s weekly Up in Smoke e-newsletter (and get a free ‘Best Burgers’ e-book!).

Menu

Gear

What Dad Really Wants for Father’s Day: 9 Inspired Gift Ideas

Father’s Day is approaching fast (it’s Sunday, June 15), and you know what that means: Desperate Saturday trips to menswear departments, pro shops, and even hardware stores to find a gift for Dad that won’t totally … well, you know.

Speaking as a guy and a father, here’s a bit of advice: Don’t give Dad a gift he would store in a top dresser drawer. In other words, no socks, neckties, cufflinks, and monogrammed anything. We want toys. And time with you and yours. Gear for your grills satisfies both criteria.

Any of the following gifts will be appreciated by that special dad in your family and you just might benefit, too.

1. Looftlighter Fire Lighting Tool: Looking for a new way to start a charcoal or wood fire? Check out the Looftlighter, engineered by a Swedish inventor to super-heat air to a temperature of 1256 degrees. It can light a wood or charcoal fire minutes. Or, you could give Dad a flame-thrower. Ask Mom first.

Looftlighter-fire-lighting-475

2. Best of Barbecue Steak Knife Set: These hefty knives will not only feel fantastic in Dad’s hand, but will cut through steaks and chops like they were butter. The set of four features razor-sharp serrated stainless steel blades and polished pakkawood handles. For an over-the-top gift, bundle them with premium steaks (or a gift card issued by a local butcher shop) and a bottle of my Best of Barbecue Steak Sauce.
BoB-knife-475

3. Best of Barbecue Beer Can Chicken Roaster: Depending on his age, Dad may not have grown up eating beer can chicken. So if he’s never tried it, it’s your job to introduce him to this simple but dramatic technique for grilling a whole bird. This Chicken Roaster makes it easier. Simply fill the central canister with a flavorful liquid—beer, wine, or even fruit juice—then lower the chicken over it. (I like to season the bird with barbecue rub first, then lightly oil the skin.) The stainless steel drip tray eliminates flare-ups. In 90 minutes or less, Dad (and hopefully you) will be eating supernaturally succulent chicken with crisp skin and incomparable flavor.
BoB-beer-can-chicken-roaster-475-1

4. Charcoal Companion Himalayan Salt Plate: When I first saw this thick slab of pink salt, I thought it was a gimmick. Having used it as a press for pollo al mattone (chicken under a brick) and as a resting platform for grilled steaks, I’m a convert. It also makes a pretty cool plancha and serving platter for grilled meats, vegetables, or seafood.
salt-plate-475

5. Solaire Anywhere Portable Infrared Grill: Gas grills aren’t normally known for their portability and portable grills don’t normally pump out the heat. The Solaire harnesses the searing properties of infrared, but is small enough take on a boat, RV, or to a summer cottage. But not so small that it can’t accommodate eight hamburgers or bacon-wrapped filets mignon. Commercial-grade stainless steel firebox and welded construction, this grill runs on propane cylinders and is meant to last.
Solair-Portable-grill-475

6. Best of Barbecue Chile Pepper Roasting Rack: If Dad is a heat-seeker, encourage his capsaicin habit with a Chile Pepper Roasting Rack. Fill cored jalapenos (the rack comes with an ingenious pepper coring tool that handily removes seeds and ribs) with everything from crab to chorizo to cheese, then prop upright in the rack. Place the filled rack directly on the grate of a grill set up for indirect grilling. In 25 to 30 minutes, your peppers are ready to serve.
stuffedpopperinrack-475

7. Polyscience Smoking Gun: Think of it as a wood smoker in pistol form. Or think of it as a bong for smoking hickory instead of, well, you know. Insert the rubber tube in a pitcher of bloody marys or a bowl of mayonnaise (cover with plastic wrap to seal in the smoke). Let smoke for 5 minutes, and you’ll understand why the Smoking Gun is my favorite smoke delivery device of the season.
smoking-gun-475

8. Best of Barbecue Kebab Rack: Nearly every grilling culture on Planet Barbecue has its version of kebabs. Grill masters in the Middle and Near East have devised ingenious flat metal skewers that hold ground and diced meat without slippage. The rack suspends the food over the heat (there is no direct contact with the grill grate) so delicate foods stay on the skewer.
BoB-Kebab-rack-475

9. Lodge L410 Sportsman’s Charcoal Grill: I love this sturdy hibachi-style grill. It’s perfect for a party of two. Or buy two, and urge Dad to grill appetizers on it when he hosts larger parties. Not only is it pre-seasoned, but it features a convenient drop-down door so you can add charcoal as needed and a vent to regulate heat. Comes with a lifetime warranty, too. How often do you see that? Perfect for people who have downsized, but still have a patio.
lodge-hibachi-475

Win a set of gear for Dad this year in our Father’s Day giveaway.