Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber Genesis Silver B advice

Weber Genesis Silver B advice

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 3:51 pm
razzzy raw
raw

Weber has a Natural Gas Genesis Silver B (611 sq. in and 36,000 BTU). However, it does not use charcoal. How do you feel about that? The grill uses Porcelain-Enameled Flavorizer Bars. Will I still get the charcoal taste or a good taste for that matter?

Thanks!

Post Fri May 07, 2004 4:17 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This is a great grill. You will never ever go wrong with Weber. That is one point I don't think anyone on the board will contest.
Now gas vs charcoal is another issue. I am a gas guy. I like gas grills.
But if you are looking for charcoal flavor you WILL NOT get it here.
You will not get it in any gas grill (natural or propane). For they basic reason that they don't use charcoal.
That said there are many people (myself included) who use gas grills and swear by them and produce great food. By using a smoker box/pouch and wood chips you can get close to the flavor of charcoal, but the difference is still there.
What you need to decide is what is most important to you. The ease of gas or the fuller flavor of charcoal.
Or you can always do like many and go for both!
Many look at it this way. Gas is easier and is best for weekdays, on the weekend when you have a bit more time go with charcoal or wood.

Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll get many more responses on teh gas vs. charcoal issue.

Post Fri May 07, 2004 4:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board razzzy!

You can't get charcoal flavor with gas, but you can get a great smoky flavor using wood chips in a smoker box or foil pouch like G.S. said. That combined with marinades, rubs, and sauces (sort of sounds like a book I've heard about :wink: ) will give you wonderfully flavored, mouth watering foods cooked on this grill! :D

Post Fri May 07, 2004 6:04 pm
razzzy raw
raw

Thanks! Few more questions. I am getting the grill without the side burner. I am just an your average griller from Wisconsin!

1) Do you feel 611 sq cooking space is enough (family of 5)?
2) Also how often do I replace the wood chip pouch that you suggested?
3) What is the book I should purchase? My wife and I will be attending Steve's Univeristy next year!

Post Sat May 08, 2004 3:00 am
TerpDave rare
rare

Razzy,
In terms of size 611 square inches is pretty big. That's roughly a 20 * 30 rectangle. I can feed a house of 5 college guys easily off of approximately 270 square inches. Are you committed to buying a gas grill? Using a Weber starter chimney, you can be ready to grill in 20 mins. You also won't be sitting on a 20 pound bomb. The wood chip pouch that Bob-BQN referenced should be replaced every time you do a piece of meat indirectly. I would recommend getting Steve's tri-fecta: How to Grill, Rubs and Marinades and Beer Can Chicken.
Hope this helps
-TerpDave
"Hmmmm this IS a tasty Burger"

Post Sat May 08, 2004 3:43 pm
PaulP well done
well done

If you're a newbe, How To Grill is a must-have. Once you master all the techniques in there, you can expand your collection with other cookbooks. I have the Barbecue Bible and Beer Can Chicken, as well as Weber's Big Book of Barbecue. I'm geting Barbecue USA for father's day.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sun May 09, 2004 12:48 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Razzy,
Welcome to the board. The Genesis Silver B is a wonderful grill. So is the C if you opt for the sideburner. I wanted to clarify something from your question. When learning about the new flavorizer bars, some people confuse the ceramic briquettes or lava rocks with charcoal briquettes. I didn't know if you were asking about how flavorizer bars compare with ceramic briquettes or if you were asking about gas vs charcoal.
In the case of flavorizer bars vs ceramic briquettes... Flavorizer bars perform all the functions of ceramic briquettes, only better and without a couple of problems that come from ceramic briquettes.
They help distribute heat.
They keep grease off of your burners which reduces flare ups.
They do get hot enough to turn grease drippings into smoke which helps flavor your food. When cooking with gas, (unless you use wood chips) most of your smoke flavor if not all of it comes from your grease drippings as gas burns odorless.
Ceramic briquettes and lava rocks often leave gaps that let grease through to the burners and because they are porous they tend to soak up grease and turn rancid. This draws bugs and in turn more spiders. Spiders are not good for gas grills as they have a tendancy to spin webs and lay egg sacs in gas lines. Flavorizer bars have reduced those problems and today most grills come with flavorizer bars and not rock grates.

In the case of Gas vs Charcoal... There's been plenty written here on that subject. I use both but prefer cooking over real wood. Gas offers great convenience and instant heat control. Charcoal and real wood offer better flavors. I think building real fires and cooking over them is more fun too. I like the mantra "Gas for the week and Charcoal for the weekend."
My advice is get a Weber Genesis Silver B or C, but also get a Weber One-Touch Platinum. You'll be able to do anything between the 2 of them especially if you get the rotisserrie for the Weber One-Touch.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon May 10, 2004 7:49 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This is the Grand part of me speaking, but it makes sense too.
Get the biggest grill you can afford.
You can always use less of the space but you can never add more, short of another grill. Which many of us have multiples anyway. Think beyond your family of 5. When you add kids friends you get to 8 quite easilly. Add their parrents and you're in the 12 range pretty quick.
Size matters.
But the B and C are still great grills.

Also most of us have opted to own the entire Steve set. You can't go wrong. There is a thread arond here that talks about each book and what it has to offer in detail. I think it called "What book to buy Next"

My order of preference is: How To Grill, Sauces Rubs and Marinades (PaulP - I can't believe you don't have this one, you need it man), Beer Can Chicken, BBQ Bible, then BBQ USA.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Once you get to BBQ U please make sure you share your experience with the rest of us.

Post Mon May 10, 2004 9:12 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board TerpDave!

Razzzy as TerpDave mentioned the aluminum foil pouch is a one-time use item that you dispose of after the wood chips have burnt.

I have Steven's five grilling/bbq cookbooks and my favorite book has been How to Grill. I probably like it because of the photos. All cookbooks should be this detailed! After that I prefer BBQ Bible, Sauces Rubs & Marinades, BBQ USA, then Beer Can Chicken.

I'm always wishing I had more grill space :wink:

Post Tue May 11, 2004 12:54 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Razzy, I hope wev'e answered your question?

As for the cooking space, I have a different suggestion, multiple grills. All the more reason to have a Weber One-Touch Platinum on the patio keeping that Genesis B or C company.
Get a gas grill large enough to accomidate the majority of your meals and be sure its large enough for indirect grilling with at least 3 burners. Follow the same principal when choosing your charcoal grill or smoker.
We've all heard the idea of using gas in week and charcoal on the weekend. Having both means you can fire up both grills for entertaining giving you plenty of space.
This way, your not wasting a lot of gas heating up all that extra air space in a huge grill when your just cooking for 2 or 3.

Along that same principal, I'd eventually like to have a little Weber Smokey Joe, a Weber 18.5" kettle, and at least one 22.5" kettle. I'd always have a grill just big enough for what I wanted to cook and whenever I'd need to entertain a large crowd, I could set em all up like a drum set.
In the mean time, I have a horizontal smoker with plenty of space for direct grilling or smoking and 3 small gas grills. I could already feed a big crowd if I needed too but I have a family of 3 and most of our meals arent big productions.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue May 11, 2004 7:06 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Vinsect wrote:
I have a family of 3 and most of our meals arent big productions.

But Big Productions are part of the fun! And who better to do a big production for than for your loved ones?

Post Wed May 12, 2004 9:59 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I'll put my $.02 worth in. As far as the cooking area goes with the Genisis B your actual cooking area is smaller than the 620 that is listed. All grill makers include the warming rack and other trays and shelves as part of the cooking area. That being said the Weber has one of the largest actual grilling areas for grills in it's price range. I wouldn't worry about the area, I've cooked 2 whole butterflied chickens on 280 sq. inches, The B is very easy to indirect grill on because of the three burners. I work for a "Big Box" retailer and I sell a bunch of em. It's the one I reccomend in it's price range. No one has mentioned the major plus for Weber, and that's their support network. The grills are built better than any other maker in the price range and they stand behind them like no one else. The 24/7 800 number and the support you receive when you need it are almost unheard of in todays business climate. We sell 30 to 40 grills a week at my store, I see them come out of the box, no one builds a better product tham Weber for the money. Get the cast iron grates, and when you need to, replace the flavorizers with the SS ones from the Gold series.

Post Wed May 12, 2004 11:39 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

DarkRubiTJ welcome to the Barbecue Bible discussion forum! Glad to have you aboard.

Post Sat May 15, 2004 12:19 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Grand Scale,
I don't have anything at all against big productions. Really, I should entertain more often so I can have some big productions.
When I do, my smoker is big enough to handle a pretty big crowd. If it isn't I always have my spare gas grills to fall back on.
The thing is that the majority of the meals I cook are just for the three of us. When selecting a grill, I think its imortant to consider the size that the majority of your meals will be. If you have a spare grill for backup, you can afford to go smaller.

I used to be into overkill. Now I find that in most things the best tool for a job is usually the smallest one that can get the job done.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat May 15, 2004 11:53 am
Big D well done
well done

Well I think you can't go wrong with a webber... its a fine product. I am the proud owner of a Webber Summit Gold D (probably a much bigger grill and more money than the average bbq'er would want)... as you said you were an average griller I wouldf say the grill you have mentioned is more than big enough and a great joice

As far as multiple grills and spending all you can afford, while its what I and many of us here do, it probably isnt for the 'average' griller... but I am not tryin to hold ya back either.

As for cook books, Steve's How to Grill (check out the store tab on the page). I am not tryin to promote SR or anything but it is by far the best cook book of all time. This is because it covers everything! It will show you how to clean a grill, properly set up a grill and lite it for different heating methods and it does not just give you receipies but it has multiple pictures showing you how to make it step-by-step. And I am not one for cook-books as a throw stuff together and keep adding more or different things until I think it taste good,,, this book (which was a Christmas gift) has inspired me to make things I would never have thought of.

As for gas vs. charcoal it is a gas on weekdays and charcoal on weekends philosophy for most of us. But keep in mind, I know plenty of people (particuarly younger ones) who dont enjoy the smokey flavour and pinkish smoke ring colour in the meat. Gas is oderless and near tasteless and you might enjoy that.... the same goes for charcoal grills.. while it takes longer to start, is messy and harder to control heat: after using it several times and using things such as the chimmney starters it really isnt that bad and I kinda like a little mess.

What ever ya choose: Have fun, don't be afraid to experiment and most of all stick around here to share your stories and pick up tips!

Next

Return to General Discussion