Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Goin' to Memphis!!!

Goin' to Memphis!!!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 9:58 am
steede rare
rare

I'm goin' to Memphis!!! Well not really, but I have a trip to the Ozarks in July and had the choice of getting flights into Springfield MO, Little Rock, or Memphis. Mempis is the furthest, but it's non-stop, and I can get some legendary BBQ before my departure home- that was the cincher. I've only been to Memphis once before and it was on a Monday- thus no Rendevous(sp?) they were closed. We ended up eating at this joint called Blues City BBQ right on Beale. I don't think it's one of the more famous 'cue locales, but it was pretty darn good IMHO. We're only going to be in Memphis long enough to grab one meal. Anybody got any recommendations? Corky's? Rendevous? I know how to get downtown to the Rendevous, but don't know where Corky's is. Is it close to the airport? Any other recomendations? Thanks a lot.

Post Fri May 07, 2004 10:26 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I believe this is what you're looking for:

Rendevous Restaurant
Home Page Link
Mapquest Location
52 South Second
Memphis , TN 38103
(901) 523-2746

Corky's Restaurant
Home Page Link
Mapquest Location
5259 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38119
(901) 685-9744

Hope this helps!

Post Fri May 07, 2004 10:47 am
steede rare
rare

Thanks for the links Bob. Much appreciated. Do you recommend one over the other?

Post Fri May 07, 2004 11:29 am
MReynolds well done
well done

I cannot recommend one over the other because I haven't been to Rendezvous, but I enjoyed Corky's the last time I was down there. Was actually a place I told my friend that we had to visit. To heck with Graceland, I want BBQ.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Fri May 07, 2004 11:46 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Back in the 80's, when I was stationed in Arkansas, I made several trips to the Memphis airport over those 4 years, but never stuct around town to do anything. I mostly picked friends up and dropped them off as a shuttle service. So I won't be able to recommend one or the other. Just wanted to get you the tools to help you out. Drove by Graceland many times, but never stopped there either.

Post Fri May 07, 2004 12:01 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Bob, where were you stationed in AR?
ImageImage

Post Fri May 07, 2004 12:21 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I was stationed at Blytheville AFB.

Post Fri May 07, 2004 12:28 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

I was stationed down in Pine Bluff in the early 90's.
ImageImage

Post Mon May 10, 2004 11:28 am
GBitto rare
rare

Went to Corky's about 6 months ago - was alright - tried the dry rub for the first time, seemed overpowering (couldn't taste any smoke or meat, just rub). We liked the bbq better at Alfreds on Beale street better. If you're looking for a GREAT lunchtime pulled pork sandwich, the Bar-B-Q Shop Restaurant. 1782 Madison Ave. Phone:(901) 272-1277 is the place. Just my 2 cents.

Post Mon May 17, 2004 4:01 pm

steede wrote:
I'm goin' to Memphis!!! Well not really, but I have a trip to the Ozarks in July and had the choice of getting flights into Springfield MO, Little Rock, or Memphis. Mempis is the furthest, but it's non-stop, and I can get some legendary BBQ before my departure home- that was the cincher. I've only been to Memphis once before and it was on a Monday- thus no Rendevous(sp?) they were closed. We ended up eating at this joint called Blues City BBQ right on Beale. I don't think it's one of the more famous 'cue locales, but it was pretty darn good IMHO. We're only going to be in Memphis long enough to grab one meal. Anybody got any recommendations? Corky's? Rendevous? I know how to get downtown to the Rendevous, but don't know where Corky's is. Is it close to the airport? Any other recomendations? Thanks a lot.

Rendezvous is an absolute must--if you don't get this BBQ in Memphis, you've pretty much wasted a trip. It's in an alley across the street from the Peabody. Corky's is pretty good, and The Public Eye in Overton Square is not bad either.

Post Mon May 17, 2004 4:40 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board NaturalStateReb!

Post Mon May 17, 2004 11:35 pm
MemphisMike medium
medium

the public eye burned down a few years ago, to bad though. It was a great place. If you have a chance try the bbq shop or cozy korner. they are both great as well central bbq.
Mike

Post Tue May 18, 2004 9:33 am
steede rare
rare

Well thanks to everybody on the Memphis recommendations. I think I'm going to have to try Rendezvous on my short visit. It's an institution, and sounds like one of those "must do" things, especially if you're a bbq aficianado. I'll file a report on how the legend of the dry ribs compares to reality when I return.

cheers,
steede

Return to General Discussion