Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sirloin

Sirloin

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 12:09 am
hotchef well done
well done

Tonight I cooked a 2 inch thick sirloin that turned out wonderfully. (It was my first steak at more than an inch thick so you'll have to give me a little rejoicing time.)

The only thing I noticed though is that the way I use to prepare other steaks did not fit this one as well. I noticed a strong beef flavor in the sirloin that I really liked, but my method did not fit it. I was just wondering if anyone had found any sauces/marinades/rubs that go particularly well with the "beefiness" of sirloin.

The method I used was:

Marinated in Dale's sauce (you'll have to forgive me...I haven't found a way that I like better that I can make on my own) and the juice of two lemons. Immediately when they came off the grill, I topped them with some of SR's herb butter. Works great for ribeyes and strips.

Post Fri May 07, 2004 12:30 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dale's is fine. I just like to dilute it a bit w/some water or wine. Cuts the saltiness.

For twist on steak try Goya or Baida Mojo or bitter orange marinade,

Italian dressing is alway a safe and tasty standby.

But really, try rubbing the steak with crushed garlic, olive oil and S and P. This to me lets the beef shine thru.

To each his own.

YB

Post Fri May 07, 2004 7:20 am
WeberBoy rare
rare

YardBurner is right - garlic, oil, salt, pepper. That's it. I remember when I discovered garlic on steak. It was the secret that I have been missing.

If you need more than that, you don't have a good cut of meat! :lol:

WeberBoy

Post Sat May 08, 2004 3:53 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Right on YB and WreberBoy! :D If you use a good piece of meat, marinades and rubs juast obscure that great beef flavor. I use Kosher salt before going on, and maybe a little olive oil or butter when it comes off.

Hotchef, if you have a quality ribeye, you have the finest piece of meat known to man, IMO. Just cook it gently, and save the marinades, etc for cheaper cuts that need a flavor boost, like flank steak.

Sometimes the essence of good cooking is simplicity.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sun May 09, 2004 12:54 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

I'm with you Paul, salt, pepper, touch of garlic butter, grill it. Good sirloin will be beefy. Man, a 2 inch sirloin!! Thats not a steak, thats a London Broil.
Craig

Post Sun May 09, 2004 1:05 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Craig, good to hear from you again.
For those of you who haven't met Craig yet, he's one of our experts on wood and smoking over real wood.
Craig, I'm really enjoying my oak. Any pieces with a little mold or fungus, I start off in my chimney starter first and I haven't had any flavor problems. In fact the flavor has been great.
Thanks for all the great advice.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion