Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Minion Method?

Minion Method?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:01 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Has anyone out there with a horizontal offset smoker used the minion method to get a long burn with briquests?
Let me know how you set up the firebox. How much fuel did you start with? How long of a bur did you get before you had to replenish? What temp were you able to hold? Was there any off taste to your food?
Going to do a pork roast tomorrow while getting ready for the party Saturday so I want to be able to let the smoker go with out too much attention.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

RichD

Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:15 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

RichD wrote:
Has anyone out there with a horizontal offset smoker used the minion method to get a long burn with briquests?
Let me know how you set up the firebox. How much fuel did you start with? How long of a bur did you get before you had to replenish? What temp were you able to hold? Was there any off taste to your food?
Going to do a pork roast tomorrow while getting ready for the party Saturday so I want to be able to let the smoker go with out too much attention.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

RichD

Hi RIch, I use the minion method on my bullet. I start with a full chimney of hot Kingsford briquets and add them to a bed of lump. Throughout the cook, I'll add fist sized chunks of wood in there, maybe 5-6 for a pork shoulder over the time it cooks. I've always had enough heat for a shoulder and the longest I've gone with one was 14 hours. Temps are around 220-250 for me. Of course, that's on my bullet which is a vertical water smoker.
Last edited by Airfoils on Thu May 06, 2004 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:18 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

uhhh whats the minion method?
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:32 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:36 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

It's a way of getting a long low temp burn without replenishing your fuel.
The link Airfoils posted describes it, but it is mainly described when using a bullet smoker. I was hoping someone with a horizontal, which is what I have, has done this and could give me some tips.
If not I will give it a go tomorrow and let you all know how it worked out.

RichD

Post Thu May 06, 2004 2:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've used the Minion Method once in a vertical smoker and it worked well for me on a six and a half hour smoke. Used about eight pounds of charcoal and twenty lit briquettes.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 2:45 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

ahhh I see , thanks. I'll have to try it out on my horizontal offset smoker.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 4:05 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

AndyC, if I remember from your restoration project we have the same smoker just with different brand names. Since I will be doing this tomorrow I will make a note of how much unlit briquets I put in the firebox to start and how many lit briquets I use to start with.
I'll post Friday night if I can.

RichD

Post Thu May 06, 2004 5:58 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

RichD wrote:
AndyC, if I remember from your restoration project we have the same smoker just with different brand names. Since I will be doing this tomorrow I will make a note of how much unlit briquets I put in the firebox to start and how many lit briquets I use to start with.
I'll post Friday night if I can.

RichD

thanks, I won't be able to try it out until next weekend but if you could blaze the trail that'd be great!

Post Mon May 10, 2004 12:19 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Ok. I gave it a go this past Friday.
I loaded the firebox with about 10 pounds of new briquetts and spread them evenly on the grates. I filled the chimney about 3/4 full a set it going. When the coals ashed over I loaded them into the firebox and spread them evenly on the unlit briquettes. Them main cooking chamber averaged 250-270 degrees for about 6 hours. I think if I had used a little more fuel in the firebox and a little less in the chimney I would have gotten a longer burn.
All in all though I am satisfied with how it worked out. I will adjust it the next time I am doing a marathon burn.

RichD

Return to General Discussion