Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber 22.5" & Beer Can Chickens

Weber 22.5" & Beer Can Chickens

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 4:10 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

I know there is any easy way to find this out but, I thought I would ask the experts and save the trouble. Is there enough clearance in a Weber 22" to cook a beer can chicken? If so how long and at what temp do you cook them at.

Keep it Smokey

Post Mon May 03, 2004 4:15 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

smokyblues wrote:
I know there is any easy way to find this out but, I thought I would ask the experts and save the trouble. Is there enough clearance in a Weber 22" to cook a beer can chicken? If so how long and at what temp do you cook them at.

Keep it Smokey

Yes there is for a fryer easily. A roaster is a tight fit but no problem with the rotiserrier ring which will accomodate many of them.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:07 pm
TOMP rare
rare

Roast at med for 1-1/4 hr. I do two at a time in my 22-1/2"

Tom

Post Wed May 05, 2004 4:30 pm
Don Marco

Howdy folks...

I´ve had the same problem with my 22 1/2 " Kettle.
I took a grate out of my gas grill and put it on top of my weber char baskets.This lowers the cooking surface about 2 inch, and the results look like this :

Don Marco

Post Wed May 05, 2004 7:21 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Hi DOn, your pic is not showing up. Not sure if its because you haven't registered but given that you're thinkin of stuff like this I think it's safe to say registering would be of benefit to you. Speaking of your idea which I thought pretty good BTW, I wonder how a 18" grate would work? I don't have this problem because I just use the rotisserie ring but it might be plausible to try.

Post Wed May 05, 2004 9:53 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

In my meager experience, a small chicken will fit in the Weber, but I believe Airfoil has the real ticket to use the rotisserie ring. Great idea, and now I have the justification to purchase one. :lol:

I believe Steven's books all say that the ink on the can shouldn't be a problem. However, I use, and I believe many people use, one of the many types of substitue holders. Weber makes a great one.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 8:33 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Airfoils, Don has placed his photos on a Yahoo service. We've found in the past that the paths to Yahoo change often. This is appearently an attempt to keep people from linking to them. The pictures worked for a couple of hours after he posted the link, then they stopped working.

He had a beer can chicken sitting on a lowered grate. Looked like it is a pretty good idea for the kettle.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 9:52 am
chagan well done
well done

aidanoc wrote:
Can the ink from the beer can become toxic when heated??

We had this discussion a while back aidanoc, to sum it up, as was stated, the ink will not be a problem. You can read the entire discussion here:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... l+reaction

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu May 06, 2004 10:37 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Has anyone tried to make their own ring using 8 or 10 heavy gauge alluminum flashing?

Make a circle the right size, clamp it, drill it and either bolt the ends or use rivets.

Thought I might give it a try soon. Any rotisserie would probably work once you had the ring.

YB

Post Thu May 06, 2004 10:46 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB this is something that I've been interested in but haven't tried yet. Since my grill is oval shaped I haven't found anything on the market that fits it. If you can firgure out how to fabricate one, I'd be interested! Pictures would be great.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:03 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Any rotisserie would probably work once you had the ring.

YB

No, it depends on the motor and how it's designed to mount. A Weber motor mounts on a bracket that is attached to the ring.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:03 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just off the top. For an oval grill I would work in two halves. Left and right. Then join in the middle at front and back overlapping by a couple of inches.

To match the curves you'll have to find something with abouth the same radius and just keep test fitting. If you do it right you'll only have to do it once!

I'll let you now how it works out for the Weber.

YB

Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:36 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If I can make the ring odds are I can fabricate a bracket to attach the motor.

Besides, the main goal, for me at least, is to gain more headroom for BCC or turkey.

YB

Next

Return to General Discussion