Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Getting the Temp. down to Medium??

Getting the Temp. down to Medium??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:36 pm
Barbq43 rare
rare

I cooked my first beer-can chicken today. I installed a thermometer at food grate level (not over the coals) and I tried to preheat the grill to medium (325 - 350f), but I could not get the grill to cool down to that temp. I had the bottom vent cracked open alittle and also the top cracked open alittle, and still I could not the grill to at least 350f. It stayed up near 400f during the full cooking time 1hr.. Any suggestions (the chicken was very dark on the outside, but just right on the inside 180f)

Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:56 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Either use less fuel next time or let it burn down longer before you start. Real fire's are much more involved than turning a knob and take some time to learn. Keep at it and you'll have fire mastered soon enough.

Post Wed May 05, 2004 8:45 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I second using a little less fuel, even though it means you may have to add some more fuel half-way into the cooking if the temps start to drop.

Post Wed May 05, 2004 9:32 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
I second using a little less fuel, even though it means you may have to add some more fuel half-way into the cooking if the temps start to drop.

Yeah you have to do that with chickens. Hard to make it all the way unless you stretch the time past the 1:20 it should normally take. Sometimes I start out with a chimney of charcoal and add lump to it half way through. Briquettes are cooler and start me off at a more ideal temp. The lump is a good way to keep things rolling given its quick ignition and higher heat. I add them at about :45. Of course, always add some smoking wood at both the start and again when you replensih if needed.

Return to General Discussion