Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion NEW GUY HERE... NEED YOUR OPIONIONS OF SUMMIT GOLD D PLEASE

NEW GUY HERE... NEED YOUR OPIONIONS OF SUMMIT GOLD D PLEASE

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Hi folk's,
I stumbled onto this outstanding site last night and after reading thru a bunch of informative posts I quickly realized this is a place I wouldn't mind hangin out at. What a wealth of great info to be had here. I'm in the process of upgrading my well used Coleman stainless gas grill and have been seriously bitten by the Weber Bug... the Summit Gold D bug in particular.

I've found the Summit gold D (NIB) for $1,400.00 delivered ( S&H included), from what I can gather that is a pretty good price so I'm going to jump on it. I've searched the board and read some pretty good comments on these grills. I'm a fairly decent GrillMiester :lol: and really like the large cooking area and many other features these units offer. A problem I have w/ my coleman is with inconsistant heat temps. It only has 2 long burners that run horizontially (about 5" apart) the legnth of the firebox. No matter what you set the controls at, the flame is always taller = hotter at at side of the burner's closest to the gas bottle, and forget about indirect cooking ... urrgghh! I'm sure the Weber will be much more consistant.

Anyhow, guess I'm just looking for some input and / or suggestions form some of you guy's that cook on these grill's. I'm happy to have found this site, sure seem's like a good bunch of folk's here. Thank's in advance for any input you may have. Y.B.
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Tue May 04, 2004 11:58 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

That's about $300 under the average street price. I don't have one but that's the gas grill I'd opt for. Hope you can get it!

And BTW welcome to the discussion board! :D

Post Tue May 04, 2004 12:07 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey! YB is already taken as a handle :evil: :wink:

Welcome! Where did you find it @ this price? Sounds great.

Grand Scale is the defacto spokesman for the Big Gold "D".
Drop him a private message and pick what's left of his brain.

YB

Post Tue May 04, 2004 1:11 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Whats left of my brain says that you'll love this grill. Period. I absolutely love it. I'd put it up against grills double or more that price any day. And the Weber service is the best there is, period.
At that price all I can say is wow!
There are a few of us with this rig here, I think Big D has one too.
Never heard a bad thing about it.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

If you have any specifics just let me know.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 2:14 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Welcome to the board Yankee Bill. As you have found out, there are a bunch of good & helpful people on this board. I'm going to try my first baby back ribs this weekend. I did the smoke roasted potatos last weekend & they were the best potato i've ever had. They were very easy & my wife loved them. I brushed them with butter & bacon grease. MMmmm bacon. Welcome aboard.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 2:36 pm
hotchef well done
well done

I have been getting online in my spare time the last few days and finding out as much as a I can about the Gold D. I can't buy one right now, but drooling over the specs I guess is good enough for right now. :? Haven't read anything but outstanding reviews so far.

Hotchef

Post Tue May 04, 2004 4:29 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Steve had one of these with him on his BBQ Bus tour.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:49 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Thank's for the warm welcome Guy's, glad to be here. Well, I broke down and ordered the Gold "D" this afternoon got it for an out the door price of $1,399.00, and had them throw in a free cover to " sweeten the pot".

I found the deal on ebay, item # 4300537960 listed at a " buy now " price of $1,250.00 + $150.00 S&H. The seller's ebay name is " bigtable trader ". They are actually are a supply Co. ( Kelly Supply ) out of Grand Island, Neb. and also have a internet supply Co. (EWINS.COM). Their ph. # is 800-658-4376. I called and asked to speak to someone about weber grill's and they connected me to a guy named Don. They do things a little wierd, he asked me if I'd like to make an offer on the item. I already knew their internet price was $1,400.00 (but I didn't let him know that) I told him to give me his bottom line price for the grill, and if my ear's liked what they heard I'd buy it right them. He dickered around abit and quoted me $1,399.00 w/ S&H, I haggled a little and got him to throw in a free cover and thought it was a pretty fair deal. I've never done business with them before but they have 112 possitive feedback's on ebay and no negative. They did email me a conformation stating the final price and that the item was shipped out Today. They also said they have a few left and expect 15 more to arrive in the A.M..

Hope this may be of some help if anyone else is in the market for a Gold D. I've only shopped around for a couple of day's for one, but couldn't find anyone that could come close to their price. Now, if I can only convince the Mrs. of what a great deal I got, and what a great negotiator I am, and so on, and so on.... maybe when that first batch of Shrimp Kabob's come off the "D" and slide across her lips she'll be convinced :lol:

Thank's again for the welcome fella's. Hey YardBurner, sorry about that handle thing, I hadn't noticed. Later, YBII :wink:
Last edited by Yankee Bill on Wed May 05, 2004 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 11:51 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Welcome to the board Yankee Bill. That's a great grill. Do you use gas exclusively or do you also have a charcoal grill or smoker too?
You'll hear a lot of debate between the gassers and charcoal/realwood users here. Personally, I use both but prefer real wood.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed May 05, 2004 12:24 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Hi Vinsect,
Yes, I've got a Char-Broil electric water smoker that I've had for 4 - 5 years now. It's not exactly a Klose Pit, but it turns out some pretty fair Butt's and Rib's. I had actually checked into getting a Klose Rig a few month's ago, but unfortunatly the Shipping would have cost me almost as much as the smoker :cry: . And yeah, I'm aware of the ongoing fued with the Gasser's vs. Charcoal / wood burner's.

I actually do like the product that charcoal / wood produces better than gas, but I like to grill as often as the weather permits, so the gas is strictly a convenience thing for me. I'm kicking around some idea's for a new Charcoal / wood burning toy for day's when the time permits its use. Best wishes, YB oops! YBII :wink:
Last edited by Yankee Bill on Thu May 06, 2004 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Wed May 05, 2004 2:10 am
murfman rare
rare

The D is a powerful grill, have fun! When your Mrs. realizes that you'll be doing more even more of the cooking, all will be fine!

Post Wed May 05, 2004 6:35 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Congrats on the new rig!
I know you'll love it.

Now you just have to figure out how to christen it.
My idea...the thickest porterhouses you can lay your hands on. Backed up with a grilled ceaser and grilled tomatos.
Enjoy!

Post Wed May 05, 2004 9:20 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

YBill, Y. Ynot.

I'm impressed with the results of your research.

This should make this a very enjoyable Summer and beyond.

Make sure to get at least one spare tank. Six burner grills can chew thru the fuel.

Let us know how it arrives.

I'm :mrgreen: with envy!

YB

Post Wed May 05, 2004 10:36 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Grand Scale, that Porterhouse menu has got my stomach growling already. Sure sounds like a worthy meal for a christening to me!

YB, 10-4 on the spare tank's, I've got a couple in the shed right now just waiting for that new baby to suckle on when she get's here :lol: .

Yankee Bill

Post Sun May 09, 2004 1:22 am
Vinsect well done
well done

YBII, How do you like that electric smoker? My impression of it is has been that its like using a smoker box in a gas grill. Not as much smoke due to less wood being used but easier heat control. Am I on the right track? They're one of the products I sell at work but I haven't had much feedback from customers.
You put soaked wood chips over the heating element right?
Ultimately, you said you've turned out some good food off of it. That's what it all boils down to. Would you recomend the electric smoker over the cheaper red water smoker?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Next

Return to General Discussion