Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Repairing Weber 26" ??

Repairing Weber 26" ??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 9:42 pm
Chicago SP rare
rare

Hello, grilling experts....I'm hoping one of you might have some advice. I have one of Weber's now discontinued 26" kettles...and man am I attached to it. The problem is that it's suffered a bit of age, wear and tear, etc., and the cleaning blades are quite frozen in place. When I attempt to move the cleaning arm, it bends before the blades will move.

Anyone have an idea of how I might restore or replace the ash cleaning system...or should I just consider this the kettle I clean out with an ash shovel? (I've not yet contacted Weber)

It isn't a great issue, as this is largely the grill I use for side dishes (we Hoosier boys love our corn), but I sure would like to keep this grill around a while.

Thanks for your thoughts, my friends.!

sp

Post Mon May 03, 2004 11:09 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Have you called Weber?

Post Mon May 03, 2004 11:46 pm

Hi Chicago SP , Cleaning out the grill can be real tough when grit and grease build up. I like to fill my chimney starter and light it up in the grill, when the grill is warmed up I move the starter including coals to an auxiliary grill.Now the cleaning can really start . Have a trash can close by and lots of newspaper. Wearing gloves, wipe the kettle of as much grease as you can using scrunched up paper ( try not to set paper on fire by errant coals ).Also use a scraper of some sort trying not to damage the porcelain (a spoon works well). The heat should be enough to wiggle the blades free to continue cleaning.Try scraping the blades down too, alot of grit gets built up on their edges.I've found this method works well and if you are fast you can start cooking with those coals that are nice and hot.....Hope this helps and happy grilling.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:29 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Sounds like it's time to disassemble number five, and give it a good cleaning/reconditioning. You can get a plastic blade used for auto body work (applying Bondo) to scrape the inside of your grill. If you take your grill apart there is a good chance the bolts and nuts have rusted together and will break. So have replacements on hand. Good luck.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:35 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm going thru the same thing with a Master Touch. The 26" probably has different blades than the 22" but I'll bet the center bold and arm are the same. Amazon has the 22" kit for
$8. So if your blades are OK then maybe the kit will provide the other parts.

Of course the first thing you should do is call Weber.

Don't forget to mention that you think they should bring the 26 back. They really need something between the 22 and the Ranch.

YB

Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:38 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This is the link to an exploded diagram of the 26 from Webers site.

www.weber.com/bbq/pub/support/part/sche ... inc=P81001

Seems like they still support it with parts. Good news!

YB

Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:05 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Great link YB!

Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:08 am
Chicago SP rare
rare

I knew you guys would have the answers! Many thanks to all. I very much appreciate it!

sp

Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:14 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yeah, their site has diagrams for almost all of the past and present models.

I've ordered several things to upgrade different models over the years.

Makes it easy to turn that curbside find back into a grillin' machine.

The best purchase was the wire charcoal baskets that come with Performer.

My Master Touch came with stamped steel baskets that lasted a good long time but
eventually croaked. The wire version is really substantial and should last forever.

YB

Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:17 am
Chicago SP rare
rare

..and the best news: I just phoned Weber, and they're sending me a complete hardware package for a whopping total (with shipping) of $15.00.

....I love it.

Many thanks again!

sp

Post Tue May 04, 2004 10:33 am
PaulP well done
well done

That's why we buy Weber!
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion