Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion ((( Got To Hang Out With Steven )))

((( Got To Hang Out With Steven )))

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 9:09 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Hey Everyone,
I've had some computer problems, so I haven't been online since last Thursday. When I last posted, I was on my way to Steven's Book-signing in Atlanta. When I got back home my computer was down so I couldn't report back yet.
Anyway, I had a blast. Steven's a cool guy. He brought his grills (Weber Ranch Kettle and a Weber Summit Gold). So he actually did more grilling than book signing. So not only did I get to meet Steven, I also got to try his cooking firsthand.
He did brautwursts indirect on the Ranch Kettle over lump charcoal and Hickory chips. They had a crisp skin and a good pink smoke ring. He did grilled Onions. I'll look up which recipe specifically later. I think it was from How To Grill. Those were done on the Summit Gold. They were very good. The showstopper was the grilled bananas with "Vitamin B3" sauce. Also done on the Summit Gold. I can't describe how good they were. Everyone you have to try them!

I'll post more later. My wife needs the computer.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 12:46 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Ooops, how could I forget the Corn on the Cob. See How To Grill page 361. Steven grilled corn too.
Ok, I didn't see the exact recipe for Steven's onions in How To Grill after all. I was thinking of the Barbecued Cabbage recipe which he did similar to this. The tops of the onions were cut off. The centers may have been cored out too. There was a filling with bacon and oil (olive oil I think). I can't remember whether there was anything else in this or not. They were already done before I arrived.
Steven, if you read this please comment on what went in those.
I didn't see the exact recipe used for the grilled bananas in my books so I'll tell more about it. Since, he was promoting The BBQ USA book, maybe they're in there. So far, I have How To Grill and The Barbecue Bible.
The bananas were split as you would for a banana split exept that the skins remained on. The grill was set for direct grilling (not sure what temp range though).
Stevens "Vitamin B3" sauce is named for its 3 ingredients that all begin with "B" ... Brown Sugar, Bourbon, and Butter all equal quantities.
The split sides were brushed with B3 sauce on the fruit itself and laid on the grill friut side down. They were turned once they reached a golden color. The bananas were brushed again and finished when the fruit started to separate from the skins which lets you know they're done.
Steven kept the lid closed part of the time since he was cooking for a waiting group but said its not neccessary to close the lid for this recipe. You'll want to watch your bananas pretty close as your using a high sugar content over direct heat and you want to end up carmelized, not scorched.
It's difficult to describe how good these were. They were amazing! Everyone, go out and try them.

Also, I got to have my picture taken with Steven and he said he would put it on the site. Since I've been without the net for a few days, you guys will have to let me know if my picture was up and I just missed it. I haven't seen it yet. You'll all get to see what the ol' Vinsect looks like.
I didn't see BBcue-Z. I thought he was coming too. Meeting him too would have been the only thing that could have made the event any better. Steven mentioned that he had met airfoils before.
If Steven tours anywhere within driving distance to you, you won't regret going. If you haven't already, check out Airfoils story of when Steven came to his town.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=886

All in all, even though I've been away from the site for a few days and you haven't heard from me, it's been pretty eventfull here.
1. Got to go to Steven's Book Signing
2. BBQ-U finally came to my local PBS station! What a great show!
3. I bought The Barbecue Bible. So while I haven't been on the board, I've been able to spend my computer time reading my new book.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 6:13 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Vinsect,
I wish I were there. I got stuck at work, and I did not know how long the event was going to be. So I decided not drive through downtown, only to find that it was over. I really wanted to meet Steve and you. I’ll have to wait until next event I guess. It sounds like it was a great event. I can’t believe I missed it.
I have the BBQ Bible and I love that book. When I first got it, I couldn’t put it down. It’s like a journey through the world cuisines.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:48 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Vinsect, that sounds like a fun time, for a book signing that is. Everything's better with a little BBQ! I've never grilled bananas before. We'll give that a shot in the near future. I'll have to come up with a substitute for the bourbon. :wink:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I enjoyed it!

Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:59 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You should be able to find Bourbon extract. If not try rum extract.
Then sprinkle with a little toasted coconut.

Classic Tropical treat.

YB

Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:10 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Saw a couple of little bottles of rum extract next to the vanilla the other night. Thanks Yardburner.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:16 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

As for posting photos of members. We need to be REAL careful.

We don't want to knock the server out for good! :lol:

YB

Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:49 am
Airfoils well done
well done

That sounds great and its cool that he switched up the menu for your event. He told me he would post pics of me and him on the site too but I haven't seen them yet.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:50 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Just found out Morimoto is coming to the place Steve was.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 10:28 am
PaulP well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
I'll have to come up with a substitute for the bourbon. :wink:

Bob - you understand that alcohol vaporizes at 175 degrees, so you never actually consume any of the alcohol used in cooking, right?
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue May 04, 2004 11:04 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Understood, but the only alcohol we stock is rubbing alcohol.

Post Tue May 04, 2004 11:22 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Bob-BQN, I'm sure there are endless variations we could make. Of course Grand Scale would probably suggest that the best substitute for Bourbon is Scotch.
As Steven was preparing the dish, he asked the crowd to suggest variations. Chocolate was a variation I suggested. Maple syrup would have to be good too. Jams and Jellys could probably take us into enough variations we could explore for years. Caramel and Coffee may be good. Coffee could balance out some of the sweetness. Something with spicy heat may also.
What about ice cream or yogurt? I know lots of people have grilled with yougurt based sauces and marinades. Anyone ever try grilling with ice cream?
Imagine a grilled Banana Split where the ice cream is grilled as part of the sauce. Maybe combine butter, ice cream, and caramel or chocolate syrup to use as a basting sauce or glaze. Use over bananas, pineapple slices, and strawberries on the grill.
If it doesn't turn out there's still The Pompano Grille's Fire-Grilled Banana Split from The Barbecue Bible p.514.
As good as Steven's bananas were and as cheap as banasas are, I'll have to experiment with them for a while.
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion