Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beef Roast for Pulled Beef??

Beef Roast for Pulled Beef??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:57 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Ok, so I know I'm going to do the pork shoulders for the pulled pork sandwiches and I'm thinking not everyone likes pork so what about beef?
Has anyone done a beef roast in the same manner for pulled beef sandwiches??
If you have what cut of meat did you use? How big was it? What temp did you bring it to and how long did it take? What kind of mop sauce did you use? What sauce did you serve it with?
I know I asked a lot in this little space, but I sure would like everyones input / ideas.

RichD

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:04 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

RichD,
The correct term is shredded beef not “pulled Beef”. Shredded beef is very common in the Hispanic culture. The best cut for shredded beef is beef shoulder (Texas Clod) or any part of the chuck. If you have Steve’s BBQ USA, he has a good recipe on page# 164.
This is one of my favorite recopies:
1 Recipe of your favorite rub, I use a combo of cumin, ancho chili, coriander, granulated onion powder, salt and pepper, brown sugar, citric acid powder, paprika, and cayenne to taste.
For marinade and mop:
1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1 small can of crushed pineapples- pineapples contain enzymes that tenderize the meat, plus the flavor is good too.
1 bottle dark beer (Mexican works best)
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
3 tbs of lime juice
4 cloves of garlic-minced
1 tsp of dry oregano (Mexican works best)
1/4 cup of olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Apply the rub all over the beef, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Mean while combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour the marinade over the meat and refrigerate overnight. Set the smoker as usual and maintain temp around 225-250 degrees.
Use the remaining marinade to mop the meat through out the cooking time. Make sure you boil the marinade before use it to mop the meat. During the last 2 hours of cooking, wrap the meat with foil; make sure you pour some of the Chili Sauce (recipe to follow) inside the foil. Wrap tightly and finish the cooking.
When the meat internal temp reaches 190-195 degrees, it will be very tender and it will be easy to shred with your fingers.
For the Chili Sauce you will need:
6-8 dry whole Ancho chili peppers
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup of limejuice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (fresh)
1 small can of Chipotle in Adobo sauce (smoked Jalapeno peppers)- this is optional, chipotle peppers are usually spicy hot. Adjust based on your preference.
3 cloves of garlic-minced
½ red onion- minced
½ cup bell pepper or poblano pepper- chopped
¼ tsp brown sugar
3 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.
Seed and stem the chili peppers and soak them in warm water overnight. Drain the peppers and place them in a stockpot. Cover the peppers with water and bring to slow simmer until soft. Drain the peppers and place them in a blender or food processor with the vinegar, limejuice, cumin, cilantro, chipotle (if using), and brown sugar. Process the mixture until smooth. If you like smoother sauce, you can strain it. If you prefer the sauce a little thinner, add some of the water you used to boil the peppers.
In a saucepan, place the olive oil and sauté the onions, bell peppers, and garlic until soft. Add the pepper mixture and stir until warm. Adjust seasoning to taste.
As mentioned above, use this sauce inside the foil during the last two hours of cooking.
Once the beef is ready and shredded, pour the remaining of the chili mixture on it and keep it warm. Allow time for the beef to absorb the flavor from the sauce. Serve with tortilla and varieties of Mexican condiments. This meat is also good for Burritos, Enchiladas, Tamales, and all other Mexican dishes.
Enjoy!

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:14 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Thanks for all the info BBCueZ and I stand corrected. Now that you mention it, it is shredded beef. i thought that looked wrong when I typed it just couldn't figure out why at the time.
I will have to give that a try sometime, but for my upcoming party I think it is a little too exotic. I will probably go with something more beefy (if that makes sense) for the rub and sauce.

RichD

Post Mon May 03, 2004 2:26 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I did Z's recipe this weekend using a chuck roast and a jaccard to boot and it came out great. Unfortunately I couldn't do the chili sauce because the site went down. But the jack daniels bbq sauce and horseraddish I used filled the bill nicely.
Thanks for sharing.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:42 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe Grand.

Return to General Discussion