Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First London Broil

First London Broil

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:31 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You also might want to check out the previous discussion on beef including different cuts of meat for London Broil. What the store labels as "Broil" could be several different things.

www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.p ... ght=london

Find a REAL butcher and ask them. The meat industry needs to standardize the names of cuts. It's getting better, but has a long way to go.

My butcher of choice, welcomes the standardization of the names of cuts. If a cut has a regional name thats fine but also include a standard universal name for that cut on the label.

OK. I'm thru venting.

YB

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:07 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board messickzr!

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:35 pm
hotchef well done
well done

The cut of meat I got is a top round. I read in HTG that there are 3 types of meat that are cut to make London Broil: bottom round, top round, and flank. He didn't make a lot of distinction between the three other than a general description. What have been your experiences with the different cuts?

I am cooking the broil tomorrow and am going to start marinating it tonight in the mxture of Italian dressing. Hope it turns out well. I have one person who is coming who likes her meat burnt (the other three of us like rare) and so I hope she can deal with the medium rare.

Hotchef

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:13 pm
chagan well done
well done

Hey hotchef, someone recently had a great idea for those guests of his that wanted it well done. He cooked it to medium rare and then told his visitors that he ran out of gas. They all raved at how good it was. Substitue charcoal for gas if that is your setup. You can come clean afterward if you like- or not.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:47 pm

Bob-BQN wrote:
Welcome to the board messickzr!

Thanks!

I have been lurking for several months. I am not knowledgeable enough to add any good information though!!!!

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:49 pm
messickzr rare
rare

Must not be knowledgeable enough to log in either :shock:

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:17 pm
Cub Fan raw
raw

Try this merinade out. I use this almost evertime I grill meat. I have never told anyone my secret recipe, so please keep it to yourselves :lol:

1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1/3 cup Worchestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (OK all of you pro smokers out there don't kill me)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less depending on your taste)
1 crushed garlic clove (again...more or less)

Of course, you can increase or decrease the measurements of the ingredients depending on how much meat you're preparing. I usually try to marinade the meat for at least a couple of hours. If that's not possible then I put the meat and merinade in a plastic storage bag and then squeze the snot out of it. I always get great review using this merinade. I also use a very similiar recipe to make beef jerkey. Let me know how it goes.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:23 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

hotchef wrote:
I am cooking the broil tomorrow and am going to start marinating it tonight in the mxture of Italian dressing. Hope it turns out well. I have one person who is coming who likes her meat burnt (the other three of us like rare) and so I hope she can deal with the medium rare.

Hotchef

If your guests like their steaks a little on the well side, here is what I do in this case:
I cook the London Broil to Medium-rare, rest it for few minutes, slice it, and then place some the already sliced meat in a foil pack with some of the marinade(after boiling it). Put the foil pack back on the grill for few minutes. This way everyone can get what he or she wants, and the meat does not dry out. Please let us know how it turned out.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:03 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

London broil and flank steak -- I like to use a simple rub – some salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion. Grill to how ever degree of doneness suits you, and then slice very thin across the grain. As thin as you can. Serve over rye bread with a salsa of tomato, red onion and a tad of fresh mint. HMMMM. I haven’t cooked that in a while and I now know what is on the menu this weekend.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:33 pm
hotchef well done
well done

Update on the London Broil:

I cooked it tonight and it was incredible. I cooked 15 minutes over a high heat (charcoal) with the lid down. It was perfectly medium rare with even a few medium slices towards the end of which my wife was thankful for. I made a crosshatch of slits in it and then marinated it in a cup of italian dressing, 1/4 cup of worcesteshire, a half a clove of garlic, and some pepper. Marinated it for about 18 hours.

My only question is why hadn't I heard of this before? My family grilled when I was growing up, but we never did this. I am going to call my family tonight and tell them they gotta try it. One of the best fruits of my grill so far.

Hotchef

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:58 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Hotchef,
Congrats on your success with the London Boil. Once you succeed with this cut, all the rest would be a piece of cake. Keep on experimenting, that is the key to true BBQ success. Looking forwards to hearing more about your future successes.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:38 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK. If it becomes the "fruit of the grill" there are several questions to be addressed.

Does it change food groups?

Does it substitute for a vegetable?

Is this a new form of fiber?

Is HotChef working for the balanced diet lobby?

Mentioning fruit here has traditionally been in combination with salt, vinegar, sugar and certain herbs to form a sauce.

Fruit of something is a frightening concept. It brings to mind underwear of all things, and although, old, clean underwear tied to a stick might be used as a mop there are many other alternatives to explore before this is attempted.

Please explain.
:lol:

YB

Post Mon May 03, 2004 11:37 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hotchef glad to hear all went well :D

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion