Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hibachi

Hibachi

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:10 pm
Reidmid rare
rare

I've never used one, but I've got a serious itch to try it - seems like fun.

Seriously, I like the idea of cooking really fast and really hot, right next to the coals. Seems like a nice change from low and slow - and crispy too.

Anybody here got an experience that you want to share? Steve seems to have an affinity for these things, but only IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:14 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Think thin, small and lean.

Satay, shrimp, bulgogi, bay scallops, chix wings.

Tenderloin steaks for two work well because you can sear quickly and then move the meat higher to finish.

Great for charring peppers for peeling.
Hotter and quicker than gas for this.
Only takes 2 or 3 briquettes per side.

Green onions work well. Just trim, oil, s+p and grill till tender.

Thin slices of most meats.

Season ground beef, pat out to 3/8" and grill quickly.

We do a hibachi version of Mongolian hot pot. Lots of thinly slice veggies, meats and several different dipping sauces.

You can tailor the sauces from oriental to Mexican to South American.

Any veggie that will hold together can be grilled.

Pinot Grigio or a Shiraz works well with this as an appetizer or an extended make your own main course.

YB

Post Sat May 01, 2004 8:50 am

Thanks YB. Thanks for the advice.

Is there any purchasing / quality issues that I should be aware of? All of the hibachis that I see are junk looking sheet metal. I'm thinking cast is better , but any recommedations is greatly appreciated.

Post Sat May 01, 2004 9:50 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks YB. Thanks for the advice.

Is there any purchasing / quality issues that I should be aware of? All of the hibachis that I see are junk looking sheet metal. I'm thinking cast is better , but any recommedations is greatly appreciated.

My first grill was a cast iron hibachi. Right now, I think one of the better models available is from Lodge Mfg.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... e-pictures

Post Mon May 03, 2004 8:23 pm
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

You are right on Airfoils, I have the cast iron Lodge unit. Its called the "Sportsman Grill".It does a great job, gets real hot, and its durable. Has two grate heights. I got mine at Wal-Mart for about 50 bucks.
Craig

Return to General Discussion