Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Homemade sauce

Homemade sauce

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:59 am
Loene rare
rare

I'm sure that there are alot of people out there that make their own bbq sauce. What I am wondering is how long can this stuff keep? I have made some but the problem is they say 10-14 days. The left over I have canned. I was wondering if this stuff could be frozen? I know that the wife when making spaghetti sauce, her left over she frezzes but then uses it the following week. The sauces that I make are mostly tomato/vingar base. Just looking for some way besides canning to get more life out of the sauce. The recipe that I use makes 2 quarts but that is alot for just 2 adults to use within 2 week time. I know that I can reduce the amount used in the recipe, but i think that by doing so could decrease some flavoring. Thanks in advace.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:43 am
hotchef well done
well done

While I don't have any expert advice, I can say that I have some ketchup based sauces that I made about 3 months ago simply stored in a jar in my fridge and they are still fine. In fact, they seemed to get more flavor after about a month of "settling."

Hopefully we'll hear from dkirn. He's getting into the business of selling his own sauce and has done tons of research on natural and artificial preservatives.

Hotchef

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:33 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Steve's book "Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs & Marinades, Butters, Bastes & Glazes" , besides having many great recipes in it, talks about storing homemade sauces.
I have made and used several sauces and rubs and enjoyed every one of them so far.
Good book to have IMHO.

RichD

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:57 pm
hotchef well done
well done

This may be a stupid question, but I've seen a lot of people write "IMHO." What does that mean?

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:38 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

Thats not a stupid question 'cause I was wondering the same thing.
On the Q sauce, I have also made my own and just kept it in a jar in the fridge and it was fine.
Does anyone know any recipes for some good Q sauce?

Keep it Smokey

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:47 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.

The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.

YB

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:54 pm
Big D well done
well done

but if they don't get asked then they arent questions so therefore you are saying there are no stupid questions, never.... Never say never!

And are you also saying that all questions are equal in intelligence or are some more intelligent than others? If yes It would be fair to say that some questions are less intelligent, or more stupid, than others... hmmmmmmmm and how do they get the caramel in the caramel bar anyways?

I agree though, not a stupid question.... I thought it was some form of discount medical insurance

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:35 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I second what hotchef said. If you make a ketchup based sauce then there are some preservatives usually in the ketchup. Vinegar is also the base ingredient for most pickling recipes. I have had most of the sauces using these ingredients last three plus months. I can’t say the same for spaghetti and pizza sauces, they tend to only last about two to three weeks in the refrigerator.

Post Sat May 01, 2004 1:40 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

I've got sauces in the fridge that I've had in there 6 plus months, and they taste just as good every time I use them. And they're only in old whiskey bottles. I just keep adding as I get low. It hasn't made me sick yet.
I just changed bottles from one that I've had for almost two years ----- it still smelled good, but I changed it just in case.
Last edited by Leatherneck on Sat May 01, 2004 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat May 01, 2004 1:40 am

When Canning vinegar based sauces just remember to put a piece of thin plastic over the jar before screwing a metal cap on. The vinegar will erode the cap otherwise. Imho that is.

Post Sat May 01, 2004 1:42 am
Rocket-Ron rare
rare

Ahh well I thought i'd logged in
My cats breathe smells like cat-food

Return to General Discussion