Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ceramic brickets

Ceramic brickets

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:31 pm
phoggy raw
raw

Hi everyone,
I'm new on this board, so here is my first question:
This past weekend at Home Depot I found out about something called ceramic brickets. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is it a good idea to replace my lava rocks with them? Do they work well?
Thanks for any response.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:37 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

By all means toss the lava rocks.

But instead of using ceramic briquettes look into using Weber's flavorizer bars.
You may have to cut them to fit. (they run from front to back, not side to side).
But they improve the performance of almost any grill.

Anybody else out there to bear this out?

YB

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy phoggy, welcome.

You'll have to hear it from the gas owners. I used a gas grill once that had lava rocks and the flare-ups were terrible. You could turn the gas off and still have a fire to cook on. I’ve heard ceramic briquettes were a vast improvement over lava rocks. But best by far have been the comments on flavorizer bars. The prevent flare-ups, add flavor to food, and rarely required cleaning, maybe seasonally, and then they can be placed in a self-cleaning oven during its cleaning cycle. They sound simple and effective to me but you’ll need to hear it from those that own them.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:45 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What they said!

I've used all of the above and will NEVER use anything but flavorizer bars again. Look at the store, they're probably on the same shelf.

Consistent heat, less cleaning, less flareups = the way to go!

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:08 pm

Thanks everyone, I definitely will check out those flavorizer bars!

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:15 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you can swing it, get the stainless ones. They will last alot longer.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:28 am
PaulP well done
well done

The Webers have a place to sit the flavorizer bars above the burners. If you're adding them to a grill that isn't designed to use them, where do you put them? It seems to me that resting them on the burners is not as effective in preventing flare-ups and may affect the quality of the flame by restricting oxygen to it.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:15 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've used a set of bars that I purchased at one of the big stores that was designed for generic use. It was expandable to width and used set screws as legs so the height was adjustable as well. It wasn't stainless but for $20 bucks or so who cares. It worked great.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:39 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

PaulP wrote:
The Webers have a place to sit the flavorizer bars above the burners. If you're adding them to a grill that isn't designed to use them, where do you put them? It seems to me that resting them on the burners is not as effective in preventing flare-ups and may affect the quality of the flame by restricting oxygen to it.

Or you can put them right on top of the grate where the ceramic/lava brickets would have sat.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:29 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That was how I thought it should be done. Just forgot to actually say it out loud.

Thanks for reaffirming.

I have a Kenmore Elite six burner. It has stainless heat plates similar to the Weber, but they have slots cut into them like the Charbroil.

Stainless or not they are starting to erode. Cooking fat contains salt in solution. Fat cools and holds the salt in place where it can do it's deed. Everything wears out eventually.

The new plates, for sure will be Weber's. I've already measured the spacing between them and the grill has a ledge at the proper height and I don't think I will have to trim them either.

YB

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:57 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

YB,
I also use these sheets for the ease of cleaning: http://66.70.210.249/grill-topper.html
I place a couple of them on the lower grate, and then top them with few ceramic brickets (to weigh them down). These sheets are pretty thick and they last me few months. When they start to erode , I just toss and replace them. I get 10 in a pack for $14.95. I’ve never used them for food as it shows in the picture.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:04 am
Airfoils well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
YB,
I also use these sheets for the ease of cleaning: http://66.70.210.249/grill-topper.html
I place a couple of them on the lower grate, and then top them with few ceramic brickets (to weigh them down). These sheets are pretty thick and they last me few months. When they start to erode , I just toss and replace them. I get 10 in a pack for $14.95. I’ve never used them for food as it shows in the picture.

LOL, they claim grill surfaces are 'unsanitary'.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:37 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Airfoils wrote:

LOL, they claim grill surfaces are 'unsanitary'

I don’t care what they claim. Nothing can survive 600-700 degrees of heat. Anyway, I only use the sheets on the lower grate for easy clean up. They also generate quite a bet of smoke. That makes them convenient and functional in my book.
Airfoil,
I know that you’re a charcoal fan; I’ve also used them on my charcoal grill. They make clean up easy, and they won’t allow small lumps to fall through the grate.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:47 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

They sound like they're worth a try. I use a double coal grate set @ 90 degrees and have very little waste.

I have also found a cast iron cooking grate that fits between the hinged grates on the Weber kettle. Best of both worlds.

Two things I wish Weber would do is to bring back the 26" kettle. Wal-Mart has a Char-broil 26" but it's made overseas and feels like about half the thickness of the Weber.

It says it's porcelain but it sure looks and feels like paint.

Second thing is for either Weber or a third party foundry to make true cast iron grates for both the 18" and 22". I just think someone is missing out on some easy money here.

Of course they would still have to be hinged for adding coals.

YB

Post Sat May 01, 2004 12:48 am
spfranz well done
well done

Skip the ceramic bricks and just go full ceramic. You'll never go back!

Scott

I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Next

Return to General Discussion