Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Best FLA BBQ

Best FLA BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:28 pm
cmmull well done
well done

BubbaQue wrote:
For those of you in the panhandle, Pig Daddy's in Defuniak Springs is good. They have the best turnip greens I ever ate. The panhandle has more of a southern pit style BBQ, influenced by southern Alabama and Georgia. That's why we are called the Redneck Riviera.

Bubbaque,

What part of the panhandle you in? I'm near the Crestucky exit of I-10. Defuniak is only a 30 min run up the hiway....

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:36 pm
BBQFLA raw
raw

I found Big John's in Tampa to be just ok. Definitely one of the better places in the area, but I wasn't a big fan of the sauce. In my opinion, First Choice BBQ in Brandon is the best joint in the bay area. Great pulled pork, excellent sauce. Try the fritters. They're kind of like a curried hushpuppy. Really good.

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:12 pm
DrunkMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

No one's mentioned Sonny's Real Pit yet?!?!?!?!

:lol:

.................Just kidding
"The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli!"

GOSM
Weber Performer

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:04 am
SuperDave raw
raw

templeofdoom wrote:
Orlando: Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ
three locations, I think.
very good sliced beef and pork

Naples, FL: Michelbob's
best baby back's EVER!
Michelbob's, as good as it gets...someone said they went out of business. I was going back down there in July for a wedding and was looking forward to getting some ribs to go back to Orlando with me.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:28 pm
ncdad rare
rare

I've had Sonny's in Cocoa Beach. Decent, but not great 'cue IMHO.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:31 pm
ncdad rare
rare

DM,

Didn't see the "just kidding," part of your message. I thought you were serious about Sonny's being good- thus why I put down "decent." I didn't want to burst your bubble, thus i went easy on your declaration of Sonny's. Truthfully I don't like Sonny's too much either.

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:42 am
Esquire59 medium-rare
medium-rare

SuperDave wrote:
templeofdoom wrote:
Orlando: Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ
three locations, I think.
very good sliced beef and pork

Naples, FL: Michelbob's
best baby back's EVER!
Michelbob's, as good as it gets...someone said they went out of business. I was going back down there in July for a wedding and was looking forward to getting some ribs to go back to Orlando with me.

No, they didn't go out of bidness. Just closed for the month of September or thereabouts. Call in advance to verify. They take like a six week "sabatical."

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:40 pm
cobrasteve rare
rare

I love going to Michelbobs when I'm down there on vacation. To bad I have to go to the inlaws favorite 10 times before I get to go to Michelbobs once. There favorite is Sonnys. :x

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:58 am

In Orlando, check out BLACKWATER'S BBQ on South Orange Avenue, at Gatlin Street. Real barbecue, Blackwater's is owned by locals, who also compete on the circuit.
Life is good............When my pit is Smoking

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:09 pm

This may sound strange, but does anyone know if there is any decent Q at DisneyWorld? I know they have smoked turkey legs, but was hoping for some barbecue while I'm there. Anything real close to the parks?

Thanks!

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:39 pm
jeffostroff medium-rare
medium-rare

Another_Q_Lover, I am on a mission to find out the same thing about Disney, since we go up Orlanda area a few times a year. I have had the smoked turkey drumstick that they serve in MGM Studios across from the Beauty & The Beast Attraction. Other than that, I don't recommend any of the overpriced Disney snack food or concessions. at MGM we usually eat at 50's PRime TIme Diner. At Magic Kingdom, we love Crystal Palace Buffet, at EPCOT we eat at Living Seas or France. But there is no good BBQ inside Disney to be found. Thought the Turkey stick was ok, but I have not had much experience with Turkey sticks, so I'm not the best judge, since we rarely see stuff like that.

But I do plan to hunt down some good places next time I head up there. I would think along route 192 just outside their main gate there should be something. After all there are 12 miles of mom and pop restaurants, hotels, and other dinner show attractions from the turnpike to WDW entrance.

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:54 pm

Thanks jeffostroff for your reply and information. I've been to WDW a couple times, but haven't seen anything Q related. I'll check out a couple of the places you mentioned, but in Epcot, we usually hit Germany as it reminds me of the food I ate while I was stationed there.

I'll goggle for Q around Orlando and see what it comes up with. Hopefully, something close.

Thanks again!

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:22 pm
kayak1 raw
raw

Kojaks in tampa is my by far my favorite. First Choice in Brandon is my second choice. I would work for free at Kojaks to learn how to cook theirs.

Post Mon May 07, 2007 2:18 pm
stuart888 raw
raw

Got to put my 2 cents worth for a spot that has both great food and a great location, it is the Bar-b-q Shak. It is located right in the middle of Clearwater Beach Florida. You get great water, swimming, beach babes, and bbq. You have to repect a spot like that!

Regards, Stuart

Post Mon May 07, 2007 5:32 pm
stlouBBQ well done
well done

I have to be in Pensacola on business later this week. Any suggestions?
"How many grills do you NEED?!"

Some people just don't understand

PreviousNext

Return to Best BBQ Joint