Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Crispy skin with gas ??

Crispy skin with gas ??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:36 am
PaulP well done
well done

RichD wrote:
In Daves case the way in which the roaster works is the problem. It is designed so that the beer or whatever liquid you are using to keep the bird moist is outside of the cavity.

I think you're misunderstanding here, Rich. The Weber unit has a cup for the liquid that goes inside the bird as with any of these devices. The big pan is only designed to catch the juices and prevent them from running into your grill. Drilling holes would prevent the runoff from collecting in the pan, but I don't think it's necessary.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:28 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

That may be, but if you go to the link Dave provided and red the description by Weber I think you will find why I say he is having this problem. Weber's description reads to fill the tray with beer or cider or your favorite liquid. It does not specifically state to fill the cup. Maybe the instructions that come with it read differently, but if you were to follow the directions as I understood them from the web site you would in essence be steaming the outside.

RichD

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:32 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Some gas grills come with infared rotisserrie burners that are level with the food being cooked. I've heard these help with crisping the skins. Infared heat is more directional and radiant which heats up objects directly and not so much the air in between.
Flames on the other hand, heat up the air.
This may make a difference?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Previous

Return to General Discussion