Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smokin a turkey

Smokin a turkey

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:17 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Hey All,

I am going to try my hand a smoking a turkey in the next couple of weeks and have a question about basting/ mopping. I will be using an injector sauce, probably a garlic butter sauce.
My question is this, do you baste while smoking? How often?
What baste or mop do you all use?
I want to make sure my bird stays nice and moist and I get a nice golden and crispy skin.

RichD

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:43 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

I have smoked a couple of turkeys on my Oklahoma Joes 20" diameter horizontal smoker and then I got a turkey fryer. The smoked turkey is great but they just take forever, about an hour a pound. Thats a long time when you have a 12-15lb. bird. I wrapped mine in cheese cloth for about 3/4 of the cooking time and basted it every hour. With the baste just use your imagination; butter, beer, W-sauce, dressing, spices, etc. After awhile I would wrap the legs & wings with foil because they get pretty charred after the long cooking time. I've done birds with and w/o the injection and I like them w/o better. I found that with the injection you get pockets of the marinade and the taste just seemed better from the birds own juices.

Keep it Smokey

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:42 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

RichD I have photos of a turkey on my "WWW" link. I brined it with a standard brine overnight, injected it with a Cajun concoction and then basted it with melted butter, that had a little of the same Cajun seasoning in it, once an hour. It turned out tender, juicy, flavorful, and finished at 170 degrees.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:41 am
Loene rare
rare

Let me just add my 2 cents. Last thanksgiving was the first time that i smoked a turkey, for that part, the first time ever doing a turkey. I made sure that the turkey 'popers' that tell u when the turkey is done for the oven were removed. I put a lovely rub on the bird, filled the cavity of the bird with apples and had a small water pan next to my fire box with apple jucie in it. I have a horizontal smoke btw. It smoke close to 1 hour per pound, but in the end I checked the internal temp. I know that if you go to butterball's website it will tell u where to check for the correct temp. Now, my bird wasnt the prettiest bird (nice and dark looking, almost burnt) but man it was the best turkey that any has eaten before. The white meat was not dried out but the dark meat was so tender and moist. I think that the next time that I do it, I will put more rub under the skin also. Good luck. I know that I was nervous doing my first one.

Return to General Discussion