Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Iron Chef America

Iron Chef America

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:22 am

Sorry for taking so long getting back to you guys, I've been extremely busy. I work at a homeless shelter here in Calgary called the Mustard Seed, where we prepare food for 1300-1400 people a day. Anyways, no offence taken, all those fumes explain why all you guys like the "Bobby Flay" style of food! :wink:

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:26 am
Papabear raw
raw

OOPS! I guess the fumes are affecting me also! I forgot to log on when I replied (Not taking offence) Heh! Heh :oops: !
"If you can't smoke it, don't eat it!"

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:04 pm

Hey folks,

Just an FYI Bobby was beaten in NY with a cook off battle agaisnt Iron Chef's Morimoto.. However, there was a rematch between the two in Japan where the show is filmed, and Bobby won that battle.

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:47 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

That is right. Bobby was on twice and split the battles. Can't say I care for him much, not that his food isn't interesting, just something about him.
I did like that character he worked with on "Chillin & Grillin" I think his name was Jack. He was always getting into it with Bobby over the gas grill. He was a diehard charcoal/wood man.
Anyway back to Iron Chef. I beleive the first one is on this Friday at 10 Est. (check your local listing) and I think Mario goes up against Morimoto.

RichD

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:28 am
steede rare
rare

Count me in too as not a Bobby Flay fan. Maybe it's just me, but he comes across as way too smug and pompous IMHO. And besides, he's a terrible television "personality." Not that you need any real talent to get on TV these days, but watching him is painful. He's terrible at talking to people, isn't too friendly or warm, and really seems to be a cold person who's his own biggest fan.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:01 am
Airfoils well done
well done

steede wrote:
Count me in too as not a Bobby Flay fan. Maybe it's just me, but he comes across as way too smug and pompous IMHO. And besides, he's a terrible television "personality." Not that you need any real talent to get on TV these days, but watching him is painful. He's terrible at talking to people, isn't too friendly or warm, and really seems to be a cold person who's his own biggest fan.

Yeah, I just don't understand why so many other people completely miss this. To me it's as plain as day. I don't know, maybe it is subjective, but to me it's as objective as it gets.

Anyway, the show was entertaining but I was dissapointed the Japanese chefs were swept. I was also pulling for Mario and Sakai. I like Mario but might pass on a meal prepared from him for fear of him sweating in my food. :lol:

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:04 pm
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

People can say what they they want for or against Bobby Flay. As for me, until the man uses some REAL WOOD!!! praise God, I won't hold much stock in his grillin'. He may be able to cook, but, gas in the house or in the garage, on the deck, what have you, is anti BBQ. Nothing against gas, I have one too, but, you gotta at least try the wood if you can.
BBQ without the wood smoke is like O'Douls NA beer. Tastes alright, but it don't get the job done. And Flay has the personallity of a brick on some of his shows.
Be Cool, Craig
WOOD.......it's the only way to burn!!!!

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:24 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Hey Craig, haven't seen you in awhile, how's it been?

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:02 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Everything here is fine Airfoils, thanks for asking. Work man, Detroit can't get enough F-150's. Guess that isn't really a bad thing, job security and all that. I should be on a little more now that some new people got hired. I missed the daily board readings so now I must catch up. Keep the fire banked up.
Craig
PS Can you imagine one of Flays slicked up shows being shot out here where I live? Reminds me of a Hank Williams Jr. line: We got the pig in the ground and some beer on ice.............That show would not be fit for network viewing pleasure.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:59 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Hahaha, yeah that would be funny. I can see it now, Flay rolling his gaint stainless gassers into the NC woods. Yeah, that works. Of course, half of the show would be dedicated to his blender and the Flay vinagrette of the week.

Glad to hear you're doing well. Look forward to seeing more of you.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:27 pm
chagan well done
well done

Can't believe Flay and Morimoto beat Mario and Sakai. I thought that Flay was going to singe his eyebrows off and lop off his finger, but they won fairly handily. I can take or leave Flay- saw a commercial during the show about him touring the country to hit all the barbecue hot-spots i.e. Texas, North and South Carolina, Memphis etc. and witness master charcoal grillmanship. If he isn't wipping around his Viking L or whatever he uses and just bears witness it might be worth watching. Debuts in June, I believe. However I HAVE LOCATED BBQ UNIVERSITY ON DIRECTV IN THE TRI-STATE AREA!! (NY, NJ, and CT) It will be airing on May 8 on channel NY21(WLIW) @1:30 pm. Gotta love that Tivo search feature.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:34 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Flay and Morimoto won??? I can't beleive it. I fell asleep twice waiting for the results of that one and I thought Mario and Sakai had it nailed.

RichD

Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:39 pm
chagan well done
well done

Yes Flay and team looked like they were going to destroy the studio and looked rather stressed throughout the competition while Mario and team looked completely confident. However, the scores were something like 73 to 56 for the flay team (more judges for this one -80 point max) a rather good shellacking.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue May 11, 2004 1:14 pm
BrockinFla rare
rare

Wow,

I am new here and there seems to be the proportionate number of Flay haters. Arguably he can hang with the best in regards to culinary achievements. Unfortunately he gets judged IMO unfairly based on his attitude and personality. I enjoy his shows for the most part, but then again I am not watching them to see how he kisses someone else posterior. He has his own culinary style and doesn't bow to the accepted norms some other colleagues in his industry prop up against. Flay probably knows he is a jerk personally, but at least he makes no bones about it. Seems to be working for him too. Has two successful NY restaurants. and Food Tv keeps him on the air in heavy rotation. Someones watching him thats for sure. I say good on him.

Love him or hate him he gets it done.
Semper Fi

Previous

Return to General Discussion