Board index Barbecue Board FAQs and How-To's Member Recipes

Member Recipes

From board specific to BBQ specific and back again, all the information you'll need to enjoy your stay here or in your backyard.

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:45 pm
shovelit raw
raw

I've been using this marinade for a while now with good results.

3/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon parsley

Combine all ingredients and marinade beef overnight....
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:45 am
BUCKEYE medium
medium

Here is a recipe that my family loves. It is a glaze we use on ribs that I have come up with. My wife makes Homemade apple butter and my family loves apples so here it is

Spicy Apple Glaze

3 cups apple cider
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 jar apple butter (I am not sure of the size.. It is the home canning jars)
(You can probably subsitute apple sauce but you will want to add cinnamon if you do)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1 table spoon vanilla
2 teaspoon all spice
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed pepper flakes (your favorite kind) I used chipotle
(you can add more or less depending on heat you would like)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cook until a glaze consistency.

Good stuff.

Buckeye

Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:23 am
Mr_Jon well done
well done

Here's a recipe for grilled portobella mushrooms. I haven't made this in years so I don't remember the amounts, but it is pretty easy.

one bottle of oyster sauce(found in Asian section of your supermarket)
one small can of chipotle peppers(found in Mexican section)
red onions, sliced into strips
poblano peppers(or bell), sliced into strips
fresh garlic, chopped
portobello mushroom caps
sliced provolone cheese(or farmer's cheese)

Put oyster sauce into blender, add one chipotle pepper, and blend. Taste and if you want more heat, add another chipotle pepper and blend again. Set aside

Saute peppers, onions, and garlic in pan till they're soft. Set aside.

Pour about 2 TBS of oyster/chipotle sauce mixture on each mushroom cap(gills up) and spread. Add a small mound of pepper and onion mixture on the mushroom and spread. Put on a slice of cheese. Grill till the cheese melts.

Again, since I haven't made this in years, I do not remember the exact amounts. These should cook up pretty quickly.

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:02 pm

dinger wrote:
Anyone have a good zesty bbq sauce recipe that is tomato, and not catsup based? I use a thinner vinger and tomato based sauce now, but as I have done more and more brisket I have realized that a thicker and zestier tomato based sauce would be perfect for that.

Remember, I'm the guy that can't handle sweet/sugar...so this is a spicy and zippy sauce that I make for myself.

I start with a scrub-bucket full of Roma tomatoes (we grow our own, but I'd call it 4 to 5 pounds).

I rinse them and cut them into quarters (don't worry about skins/stems) and drop them into a slow cooker (large crockpot) and simmer, stirring occasionally, for several hours until the skins & pulp kind of 'stir apart'.

I then run the whole pot-full through the ol' KitchenAid ricer/strainer to remove all skins & seeds. Return the pulp/sauce/juice back to the pot & cook, again stirring occasionally, on low until reduced about half. Now you should have a really think sauce (not quite a paste) that can be used for about any base.

To this I add:

- Malt Vinegar (to taste, not trying to thin the mix) adds a nice tang
- Garlic & Onion powder (powder works better than fresh to absorb liquid)
- cayenne pepper
(you can substitute Frank's hot sauce for the pepper & vinegar - just watch the liquid)
- some smoky mesquite seasoning (I forget the brand, but it's a powder)
- bead molasses.

This last ingredient is usually in the asian cooking section and has almost no sugar/sweet, but will darken the sauce and make it sticky. The problem I had without this is that the sauce kept sliding off smooth meats like chicken. This gives it a better chance to stay with the meat.

The result is sticky, smoky, spicy and tangy. It looks rough-textured rather than smooth & shiny and really sets off pork & chicken.

Sorry about the lack of amounts - I usually just do it all to taste & texture and it probably has never been the same twice.

If I'm in more of a hurry and just want eye-popping flavor:

I take a bottle of Kraft Thick & Spicy BBQ and a bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce (half the size of the BBQ bottle).

Mince 1 green pepper, 1 small onion and several garlic cloves and saute quickly with 1 stick of butter in a deep (pasta?) pot until cooked, but still firm.

Dump in the 2 bottles (hot sauce & bbq sauce) and stir until both sauces and the butter have blended completely - just a few minutes.

This one gets its 'sticky' from the BBQ sauce, spice & tang from the hot sauce and a really nice, fresh flavor from the butter & aromatics. It's HOT, but it's tasty..

Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:29 am

BBQ'ed Dove
    1 doz. dove breasts
    1 lb. bacon
    6 jalapenos
    12 oz cream cheese
    12 toothpicks

Take the dove breasts and carve the meat from them. They have a thick breastbone in the middle so you should end up with 2 liver shaped cuts of breast meat. Toss all ribcages.

Next, cut the jalapenos lengthwise into halves. You want to have 12 halves when you are done. Don't forget to clean out the seeds!

Take the cream cheese and fill each jalapeno half with cream cheese and skim off the excess.

Now you are ready to build the final product.

Lay out a piece of bacon on the chopblock. Put the 2 dove pieces on one end, stack one jalapeno half between the dove, and roll the whole lot up. What you want to have is the whole strip of bacon rolled around the whole thing, with the 2 dove pieces sandwiching the jalapeno. Run a toothpick through the "sandwich" also securing the bacon wrap in place.

Place on grill and grill for 10 to 12 minutes in direct heat. Or you can indirect cook them for about 30 and give them a good sear right before you take them off. Makes excellent pre-meal snacks!

The dove meat is real dark even though it's breast meat, so just cook it until there is little juice on the breast or until you hit an internal of 160.

And of course if you don't have access to dove meat then chicken, quail, pheasant or any other bird will do fine.

-Johnny
==\\ West Texas Grillin //==
Oklahoma Joe's Wild West Special Edition
Custom-built Dual Charcoal baskets

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:58 pm

Chipstealer:

I never thought I'd see a recipe for Arroz con Gandules on BBQ board! That said I can make some mean Spanish rice myself but I'm gonna have to try your version next time I bust out the caldero.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:26 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Thrill_ofda_Grill ! :D

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:28 am

Hey thrill well in my family a pot of rice acompanies most Ques, so I thought id put it on, and allow others to enjoy it with there meals. Or as a meal in itself !
Taste This.

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:54 pm

Bob-BQN wrote:
Welcome to the board Thrill_ofda_Grill ! :D

Hey! It's good to be here!

Chipstealer:

I hear ya. That rice is always a hit with guests at my place.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:50 pm
twocents medium-rare
medium-rare

I have a nice bbq sauce, but it came out of another book.. don't think i can post it.
two cents ¢¢

'ALL HAIL NINKASI'

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:11 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You can always name the book and the recipe.

You may not post the recipe.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:55 am
twocents medium-rare
medium-rare

Can't remember the book, I think it was Waldos barbeque recipes..something like that.
The name of the recipe was spare rib special, that much I do remember.
two cents ¢¢

'ALL HAIL NINKASI'

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:59 pm
CRKhead rare
rare

johnnyonetime wrote:
BBQ'ed Dove
Ah, yes, take the universal sign of peace and BBQ it up!! God I love this country!! :twisted:
Last edited by CRKhead on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:07 am
Attrill well done
well done

This is something I made tonight as an experiment - and it turned out pretty well! I basically came up with this to finish off some veal I bought at Costco a couple months ago.

Veal Satay
4 Veal scallipinis cut in half lengthwise
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Salt
Pepper

Marinade for 1 hour, and then grill at high heat for 6 minutes - turning frequently. I used a handful of maple and covered the grill for 2 minutes once it lit to give a slight smokey flavor.

Raw:

And cooked:

I think I'd use more Cumin, and a little less Cinnamon next time (honey could work well in this as well) - but this was really good and I'm looking forward to doing this again in the future.

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:12 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'll say! That does look good. :D Thanks for sharing your experiment.

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs and How-To's