Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion exotic woods

exotic woods

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:33 pm
miltguy rare
rare

has anyone used woods other than the obvious hickory, mesquite, oak, apple, etc? I have some peach but what about odd things? Any hard wood is safe? Right? :?:

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:30 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

miltguy.

Welcome to the Board. One of the gurus here posted this list of smoking wood a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=771&highlight=woods[/url]

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:46 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

miltguy,
We had someone ask about "Anoyne smoke with bittersweet?", a wood type common to his area and found that it was toxic to dogs, cats and birds, but we couldn't find any reference to BBQing. I guess they leave it to common sense not to use toxins while cooking. Here are a few DON'TS as well:

Wood types suitable NOT for smoking:

Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CEDAR, CYPRESS, etc.

There are many trees and shrubs in this world that contain chemicals toxic to humans--toxins that can even survive the burning process. Remember, you are going to eat the meat that you grill and the smoke particles and chemicals from the wood and what may be on or in the wood are going to get on and in the meat. Use only wood for grilling that you are sure of.

If you have some wood and do not know what it is, DO NOT USE IT FOR GRILLING FOOD. Burn it in your fireplace but not your smoker.

ELM and EUCALYPTUS wood is unsuitable for smoking, as is the wood from SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER trees.

Here are some more woods that you should not to use for smoking:
Never use lumber scraps, either new or used. First, you cannot know for sure what kind of wood it is; second, the wood may have been chemically treated; third, you have no idea where the wood may have been or how it was used. For all you know, that free oak planking could have been used in a sewage treatment plant.

Never use any wood that has been painted or stained. Paint and stains can impart a bitter taste to the meat and old paint often contains lead.

Do not use wood scraps from a furniture manufacturer as this wood is often chemically treated.

Never use wood from old pallets. Many pallets are treated with chemicals that can be hazardous to your health and the pallet may have been used to carry chemicals or poison.

Avoid old wood that is covered with mold and fungus that can impart a bad taste to your meat. If you have some good cherry wood (or other good smoking wood) that is old and has a fungus growth and you want to use it, pre-burn it down to coals before you put it into your smoker.

Grilling over a wood fire is more challenging than grilling over charcoal. Wood burns hotter than most charcoal and as a consequence, burns faster. Wood also stays in the 'hot coals' stage for a shorter period of time than charcoal.

I hope this helps!

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:00 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

I have a customer that smokes with Sourwood and he says its really good. I'd never heard of it before he mentioned it but a coworker whos husband owns a sawmill says he gets some occasionally and could get me some.
I wonder how hard it would be to grow Allspice from a cutting if you could find it.
In terms of exotic woods, Allspice is the "cuban cigar"... rare, delicious, and Jamaica won't export it.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:24 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Vinsect check this out: http://ecolage.safeshopper.com/51/1437.htm?558. Grow your own!

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:56 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey!! We can go into the parasol business!!

By the way Paul Kirk "The Baron of BBQ" mentions using sassafras wood
to cook with in his new book.

"Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue"

YB[/b]

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:23 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Parasols that double as rotisseries will be all the rage next year. Fiesty runway models will be prancing down the runway eating Jerk Pork before sneaking off backstage to "purge."
Bob-BQN, I bookmarked that link. Thank You. I wonder how long it takes to get big enough to start having pieces big enough for firewood. Also wonder how much allspice it produces.
I noticed it also goes by the name Pimento. Do pimentos come from the same tree?
What does Paul Kirk say about Sassafras? I know thats what they make root beer from. Is the smoke at all like root beer? We used to have a restaurant in town that made their own root beer and it was unbelievable.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:35 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I couldn't figure out why Sassafras was listed under the don'ts. But I've found this information in two places so it was a concern. Maybe root beer flavored BBQ tastes bad? Pokeweed is used to make salads, but if the wrong part of the plant is used or it is not prepared properly, it can be toxic. Maybe Sassafras has similar properties.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:49 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

He doesn't go into detail. It's just on a list of woods that are usable for smoking or grilling.

The new book is pretty complete, covering all aspects of competetive Qing.

Even has a few recipes worked up into catering quantities.

By the way have any you picked up Steve's new book?

So far every thing I've tried has been a winner!

One nice thing about it is the cover price is only $20.

I'm tired of having to cough up $35 or $40 for a cookbook only to find out how poorly
organized, unorigional and repetitive it is.

Steve's are very user friendly.

YB

(no I'm not suckin' up. Just sounds that way, don't it?)

Return to General Discussion